Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Laws on 3 car seats in the back?

rightontime · 19/03/2011 17:57

Thinking of getting a xsara picasso or a fiat mulitpla. Can I legally put 3 child seats across the back. I have heard that due to the possiblity of side impact that it might be illegal in some cars?

Anyone got a link that might help or any info?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FourFortyFour · 19/03/2011 17:59

We have a Grand Renault Scenic and have 3 car seats across the middle row of seats.

Please
or

eviscerateyourmemory · 19/03/2011 18:01

I havent ever seen anything about 3 seats in row being illegal. I think that there is evidence that children in child seats are safer in the back of a car than in the front.

Please
or

CointreauVersial · 19/03/2011 18:03

I've never heard of a "legal" problem, but you need to make sure the seat is wide enough for three seats, and the seatbelts are adequate.

With car-seats/boosters needed up til the age of 9 or so, most parents of more than 2 children must be doing this all the time.

Please
or

rightontime · 19/03/2011 19:20

Thanks everyone. I have heard that people do it but I have also heard of a friend of a friend who got stopped and fined for having 3seats on the back in a row. Don't know what car she had though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SecretNutellaFix · 19/03/2011 19:26

that makes no sense at all.

By law, the children must be in seats unless the fitting of 2 prevent the third from being safely fitted.

Please
or

itisnotgoingwelltoday · 19/03/2011 19:32

You'll be fine with 3 seats in the back of a Multipla.

They are all "proper" width seats - there's not a narrow seat iyswim?

I did it and it was fine

Please
or

thisisyesterday · 19/03/2011 19:34

well, it isn't illegal, but i guess it has to be safe iyswim

so if you have 3 wedged in and they're touching the doors then you could potentially be in trouble i guess

Please
or

pooka · 19/03/2011 19:35

I had a Honda frv which is similar in the 3/3 set up.. 3 seats fitted easily - 2 maxi cosi rodi and 1 mc tobi. Currently have smax with same set up.

Please
or

mamatomany · 20/03/2011 12:06

The friend should have gone to court and challenged the fine because actually the law states they only have to be in car seats if there's room I believe so your friend was going beyond the call of duty and shouldn't have been fined. Unlike the woman I saw holding a baby on her lap in the front seat yesterday, those people always seem to get away with it though.

Please
or

ragged · 20/03/2011 12:09

Had a carseat safety officer from the County Council inspect our seats... 2 years ago? 3 across the back in a vehicle that many (on MN) would say was unsuitable for 3 across; Council Man was satisfied, had no negative comments, just reminders how to make sure we kept them best fitting.

Please
or

Loopymumsy · 20/03/2011 13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

thisisyesterday · 20/03/2011 18:26

yes, and also if you have side impact curtains it's sometimes not advisable to have 3 across the back because you have to have a certain amouint of space between the side of the car seat and the area where hte curtain will inflate.

so that may have been an issue.

the friend of a friend could equally have been fined for having them in unsuitable seats maybe?? rather than the number of seats?

Please
or

Haribojoe · 20/03/2011 20:50

Have got a Picasso and three seats would fit easily across the back without touching doors or being squashed together.

I've even had two car seats and an adult in the back of mine and there is still loads of room.

This is one of the things I love about the Picasso Smile

Please
or

oooggs · 20/03/2011 20:54

I have had lots of combinations of 3 car seats (have twins) in a Picasso

2 baby seats and a stage 2
1 baby seat a stage 2 and a highbacked booster
2 stage 2's and a highbacked booster

then dc4 arrived and we changed to a C8 Grin

Please
or

CHDmum · 20/03/2011 21:06

My DD's were 5 & 2 when DS was born so we bought a Fiat Multipla as obviously we needed 3 separate age appropriate seats. All 3 sat in the back with plenty of room between the seats and doors and held in with proper seatbelts. That car has been a godsend. It's got a spare seat for friends, and even enough room in the boot for a pram and a weeks shopping. Cant ask for more than that!!
Nobody has ever stopped us to say we couldn't have all those seats in the back. I thought that is what they were designed for?

Please
or

buttonmoon78 · 21/03/2011 11:22

What car was it? Without knowing that it's impossible to judge! If it was a small car then it's possible the car seat may not be fitted correctly I suppose?

I have also seen 3 car seats wedged into a Ford Ka rear seat. Because they were wedged in, apparently that would be good enough in a crash Hmm

Please
or

BertieBotts · 21/03/2011 11:27

There is a loophole which says the oldest child doesn't have to be in a carseat if they are over 3 and you can't fit one in the middle seat.

The carseats have to be correctly fitted as well so I suppose if they were jammed in incorrectly it could be a problem.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.