Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Work and appointments

kjbubblez · 26/06/2022 17:54

Hi!
I was wondering if you have informed your employer that you are having IVF treatment? Or if you have kept it to yourself.

I am just wondering how I am going to be able to attend the hospital appointments etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you 💙💜

OP's posts:
Please
or

couldishouldigoforit · 26/06/2022 20:36

Yes I did - multiple rounds. But I specifically chose a clinic where scans started 730am so there would be minimal impact on work

Please
or

Hoping4baby21 · 26/06/2022 22:20

I have informed my employer as making up excuses was too much. Also waking myself up at the crack of dawn for appointments is not my bag and whilst going through a gruelling process I didn't feel like burning the candle at both ends with early appointments was the way to go. My work has flexible hours as long as the work gets done it isn't an issue, but I appreciate most work places aren't like that.

Please
or

Lemoncake5 · 26/06/2022 22:47

Hi,
yes i told my workplace ( im a secondary school teacher) clinic is 15 minute drive from my workplace. I told them this meant appointments etc.I mean they couldn’t say no to me and i think they appreciated my honesty. I couldn’t hide it anyway if i wanted to as my clinic provided proof of appointments via email and i would just foward these to hr and cc in my boss with my request to go to appointments/ take day off for retrieval/ transfer.

Please
or

Lemoncake5 · 26/06/2022 22:48

Im currently off recovering from a tfmr hoping to return next week. But i will resume treatment again in September… so they will still get appointment requests and a day off for transfer…..

Please
or

duckling3 · 27/06/2022 11:09

I haven't told work this time around, I don't feel I want to be that open with my current boss, and also with my FET there are not that many appointments so minimal impact from work perspective.

I have just booked the expected transfer date off.. and booked scans/appointments early in the morning where I can

I did tell my boss the first time, it wasn't my plan but needed to arrange last minute cover so needed a reason why.

Please
or

kjbubblez · 27/06/2022 12:29

Thank you all for your replies.

I really don't want to have to tell my boss. So hopefully I won't have to. I've got an appointment on 20th July to discuss a FET. HOPEFULLY they will be able to tell me if appointments can be done early or later on in the day to fit around work

OP's posts:
Please
or

kanga0 · 27/06/2022 12:36

I'm expecting to start my first cycle soon and am currently debating whether to tell work or not. I have flexible working so could get away with not mentioning it, but the clinic we've been referred to is a 2-3 hour round trip so it would be a lot of extra time I would have to make up. I'm also worried about being hyper emotional about it all. I can just see myself randomly bursting into tears in the office because my hormones are messed up and I'm tired from all the appointments and trying to keep up with workload (any advice on how likely this is would be much appreciated. When I asked the clinic, the consultant just told me it wouldn't impact me emotionally at all 🙄).

At the moment I'm leaning towards using my annual leave to take time off around it. I'm sure my company would be understanding, but I haven't been there that long and I just don't want to have to deal with telling them if it doesn't work.

Please
or

Lemoncake5 · 27/06/2022 12:44

That is also fine. I just found it easier to tell my employer. As I thought there might be times i might not feel well etc with being in a classroom with 30+ Kids!

Please
or

kjbubblez · 27/06/2022 13:48

Oh gosh @Lemoncake5 I can imagine. I teach 16+ so not as intense as your Job. Thank you for replying to me x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lauralozzle · 27/06/2022 16:49

I am keeping it to myself this round, when it starts. If I need extra rounds I might tell them then, there is an IVF policy of sorts, but I have a lot of annual leave to take and I plan on taking annual leave around egg collection/transfer.

I’m sure they would fine about it, but I don’t want to explain afterwards if it doesn’t work. I’ve not been there that long ( 7 months) so I also don’t want them to think about not giving me opportunities in the future in case I get pregnant. They shouldn’t, but I want to avoid being overlooked.

I have flexible working and the clinic is 20 mins away in the car, so I’m hoping I can fit scans in earlier/later or if needed on an extended lunch break!

Please
or

LongerthanMrTicklesarms · 27/06/2022 23:22

I didn't tell my work, I took sick leave for one EC and ET, said I had a procedure when it clashed with an important event. Other times I used leave or worked flexibly (I'm fortunate that I can usually, it was a bit trickier pre covid). Sometimes it was a lot of pressure, but for me it was preferable to telling them. I'm quite a private person by nature (in case it's not obvious!).

Please
or

Cherry35 · 28/06/2022 15:57

I've never told anyone at work. Book scans and bloods around work and only take sick leave doing EC. After ET you can go to work.

I'm a private person, wouldn't want questions about it or their opinions. Sometimes they get pushy, but I reminded them that legally I don't have to disclose my illness from sick leave.

If the time comes when I do have to explain I would lie.

Once they know IVF, they will start thinking about Maternity Leave and so.

Please
or

PMAmostofthetime · 22/07/2022 20:04

@kjbubblez I told my work and they were very accommodating only my one boss knows. No one else she doesn't ask about it but checks if I'm ok of I look stressed or I'll and reassured me that I can take any time I need. No one else knows except her and OH.
My scans etc were sometimes short notice as AF turned up late and it changed all my days this is also my 2nd full cycle since March. If you don't want to tell them I'd honestly take sick leave from your first scan or you will just end up stressed and worried about the sporadic time off and you need to keep your stress levels down.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.