Please
or
to access all these features

Infertility

Waiting times at UCLH Reproductive Medicine Unit

10 replies

mouse1234567 · 10/06/2018 21:06

Hi all,
We have been referred to UCLH Reproductive Medicine Unit. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat recently and can tell us how long the waiting time for our first appointment might be? Also, do we get put on the IVF waiting list at our first appointment if we meet all the criteria? How many months is the waiting list right now? If anyone has recent experience of this-it would be great to hear your feedback and get an idea of timelines Thanks you!

OP posts:
Please
or

cannonball8726 · 10/06/2018 21:28

Hello, would you be cycling at CRGH? We're having first cycle privately at CRGH (waiting for NHS referrals to kick in at Barts). My consultant at CRGH mentioned they don't have a waiting list for NHS patients and they are able to start cycling pretty quickly.

Sorry if it's a different unit, though!

Please
or

mouse1234567 · 10/06/2018 21:43

Thanks so much for your reply-that’s interesting-fingers crosses its not much of a waiting list! I’m not sure if it would be at CRGH. We are NHS patients but unfortunately our doctors sent us to Homerton originally-we had our appointment last week- but when we arrived they told us that they do not have a contract with our borough and we cannot be offered IVF there-which was quite frustrating as we have wasted 2-3 months. Now I need to have a another appointment with our docs for them to re-refer us to a hospital the borough does have a contract with-which will be UCLH. We were set to start IVF in April at Homerton and really hoping it’s not going to be a lot later at UCLH now because of our doctor’s error!

OP posts:
Please
or

cannonball8726 · 10/06/2018 21:52

That is a massive pain in the ass! What an awful waste of time :( Hope things get sorted quickly.

Please
or

mouse1234567 · 11/06/2018 08:26

Does anyone else have any recent experience of UCLH Reproductive Medicine Unit and any idea of their waiting time for initial appointment and IVF?

OP posts:
Please
or

LennyFitz · 03/08/2018 11:16

Just want to bump this thread in case anyone has further info - I emailed them directly to find out it's a 6-8 week wait for first appointment currently, but I haven't heard back about what the wait is between that appt and starting treatment frustratingly.

Please
or

physicskate · 03/08/2018 12:10

They might not jump straight into treatment, depending on what tests have already been run, your results, and if there are more tests they want to run.

The only way I survived the process was by going in and expecting more time to be wasted. Then whenever progress was made, it was a pleasant surprise. But maybe that's just me!!

Please
or

mouse1234567 · 03/08/2018 14:05

I was told the ivf waiting list for 2-3 months so very short -but there are other options before then perhaps depending on your case-IUI, superovulation IUI. Once my foot was through the door of the first appointment with them I have found the process to be fairly quick all things considered. I was given a laproscopy one month after my first appointment.

Good luck with yours

OP posts:
Please
or

thesupermarketstall · 29/01/2019 22:32

Reading this thread made me feel better so thanks for sharing Smile. We’ve just been referred to UCH for IVF and I was hoping they would offer IUI before IVF as I’m dreading everything an IVF cycle entails! I guess we’re very lucky to live/be registered with GPs in Camden and Islington as many CCGs pay for no IVF or fewer cycles!! Camden is the absolute best. Good luck to all of you Smile

Please
or

mouse1234567 · 30/01/2019 06:10

Camden really is the best -we are islington Si can’t complain! I have just done 3 IUI with them and now waiting for my first IVF appointment mid Feb. @thesupermarketstall just to say they dontalways offer everyone IUI if they don’t think it’s appropriate for you-they May think it is better to go straight to IVF. I got IUI because I have PCO and pushed a bit for it. Good luck -They are good once you get over the initial wait times -we are waiting again as we go from IUI to IVF -just want the IVF appointment now! Waiting is so hard!

OP posts:
Please
or

thesupermarketstall · 30/01/2019 08:43

@mouse1234567 I’m also in Islington and very very grateful for the fact they fund 2 cycles! I was hoping for IUI as I know someone who had it and it worked. Realistically though, the consultant I saw after doing all the diagnostic tests at another hospital, said research shows IUI is no better than intercourse (unless you can’t for a physical reason have sex). I have unexplained infertility so he said IVF is the best way to go as I am in my mid 30s. Good luck. I spent some time in this forum yesterday as I’m finding this journey quite lonely. Nobody seems to talk about it openly. I was so glad to see so many supportive posts. Good luck with your appointment - Many wishes of a healthy baby for you Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?