Mumsnet Logo

to access all these features


I've been trying to conceive for two years

3 replies

Kerbstick · 09/04/2013 22:23

First of all I will give you some background information on my situation. Myself and my partner have been trying to conceive for two years now.

I had the implant as a form on contraception for two and a half years, since having it removed I have never had regular periods. They vary between 26 - 66 days.

I have been to the doctors many times as I'm worried the implant has messed up my cycle forever and this is what is stopping me from getting pregnant.

The first time I went to the doctors I had been trying to conceive for a year. The doctor advised me that I should keep trying and if I still hadn't had a positive result within 6 months then I should go back. When I returned he gave me a prescription of folic acid (which I'm already taking daily) and said I should just keep trying.
I returned again 6 weeks ago with the same complaint and the doctor agreed to do a blood test to check my hormone levels were ok. The result came back and I am completely normal. I was told to keep trying.

Has anyone else been in a situation similar to this or has any advice or information of what I can do next in regards to medical help? What my options are ect?


OP posts:
to access all these features

NoCupcakesOrCocktails · 10/04/2013 09:27

Hi Nicola, I'm sorry to hear that you have been trying for so long. I've also been ttc for about 3 years now. NHS guidelines are that your GP should begin investigations & refer to a fertility specialist after a year of ttc if you are under 35 (it's after 6 months if you are over 35). So you have well met that criteria. Your GP should carry out the following tests:
Routine bloods (to check blood count etc.)
Day 2 or 3 blood test (looks at hormones so you may have already had that)
Day 21 blood test (it is called day 21 as it should be 7 days post ovulation, it's based on the idea of a 28 day cycle but you may need it done on another day depending on when you ovulate. This will test for progesterone to confirm ovulation)
Pelvic ultrasound
Vaginal swab (to test for chlamidiya etc..)
You should make sure you have had a smear test in the last 2 years
You DH will need to provide a sperm sample.

I would suggest going back to your GP & quoting some nhs guidelines to him.

to access all these features

NoCupcakesOrCocktails · 10/04/2013 09:32

Forgot to add that he should at the same time refer you to a fertility specialist at a local hospital where they will look at your results and will carry out further tests such as a HSG (where dye is injected into your tubes to see if there are any blockages). You are entitled to all of this on the NHS. Don't let you GP fob you off.

to access all these features

AttilaTheMeerkat · 10/04/2013 09:49

If the GP is as unhelpful as he has been previously I'd be changing GP practice as of now.

You should have been referred far earlier. It is all too easy to be fobbed off and you were given duff advice by the GP re just giving you a prescription of folic acid (which does not need a prescription to buy anyway).

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances (problems with the thyroid gland or a condition called polycystic ovaries are often to blame here), what hormone levels were measured and when was this done?. I would think that something fundamental has been missed here.

to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?