My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

What's with all these politicians, aides and spouses that has them flogging their memoirs barely two minutes after they have exited office???

10 replies

moondog · 11/05/2008 10:08

Yes, I know the answer is £££££££ but it is so repellant and greedy and damaging to the political parties they purport to stand for (eg Prezzer saying today that he told Blair to sack Gordon Brown).

Furthermore, my understanding of a memoir is that time allows objective reflection and an accurate analysis of historical events.

Dennis Thatcher's words spring to mind:

'They will think yuo an idiot whatever you say or do, so better for me to keep my mouth shut and not to actually prove them right.'

I am sickened by the whole fucking greedy selfish bickering pack.

OP posts:
artichokes · 11/05/2008 10:18

I think lots of politicians firmly beleive that with their "talents" they could have had hugely well paid careers in the private sector had they not chosen to devote themselves to public duty. Therefore as soon as they lose their jobs they think they have the right to cash in. Obviously the sales will be greater the closer the memoir is to the events. They honestly see it as pay-back for a life of public service.

But I don't think money is the only factor. You cannot underestimate the animosity the bubbles beneath poltial partnerships. This leads to a great temptation to prove that you were the wronged party, or the cleverest, or most caring, or whatever. And they know nobody will care about the details of their political rows in a few years so they rush to justify themselves while we still remember who they are.

Upwind · 11/05/2008 11:08

And they know a recession is likely and want to make sure "Crash Gordon" gets the blame and their own legacy is relatively untainted.

If these memoirs came out in a couple of years the supposed authors would attract even more scorn.

moondog · 11/05/2008 13:43

Very good points.

OP posts:
expatinscotland · 11/05/2008 13:45

who buys these things?!

is it the same people who buy 'Daddy, NO!' books and Geri Halliwell/Jordan tripe?

moondog · 11/05/2008 13:47

lmao at 'Daddy No!!' books.

I think bought by Daily Mail readers who think they are clever.

OP posts:
expatinscotland · 11/05/2008 14:09

i mean, who wants to read about that freakish cherie?

don't htey have better things to do with their time?

like watch paint dry.

Freckle · 11/05/2008 14:20

And who wants to read about bldy John Prescott?? I mean, he'd have done better to write a self-help book for bulimics as he clearly was extremely successful at beating it himself.

suedonim · 11/05/2008 15:02

Repellant. That word says it all for me re such memoirs. But I did enjoy Alan Clarke's books.

Earlybird · 11/05/2008 15:08

Why is Cherie Blair 'rushing' out her book (think it was due in October originally)? Is it because Gordon Brown is in trouble, and she wants to capitalise? Or hasten his demise?

There is a story in the paper today about how she is saying publicly what Tony Blair couldn't - and that she is putting his version of events into the public arena.

Freckle · 11/05/2008 19:42

Which is a shitty thing to do, by anyone's standards.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.