My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

can't believe no other Civil Servants here. All too shy or not peed off with latest Govt initiative?

10 replies

tallulah · 11/12/2004 13:18

surprised no-one has started a thread about the latest news on our pensions. Are there no other Civil servants on here or doesn't anyone care?

OP posts:
prufRockingAroundtheXmasTree · 11/12/2004 21:26

Tallulah - I'm not a ciil srvant, but did read about the reforms. Whilst I can understand you are upset about having to work until 65, surely the move to career average rather than final salary is good news for all but the very highest level employees, particularly if you want to work more flexibly over your career? I though it was a policy that more companies should adopt.

And tbh, I don't think you'll get much sympathy from people who work in the "real" world - your pensions are still far better than a money purchase scheme :)

KatieMaChristmas · 11/12/2004 21:33

Not necessarily - my quote for my pension (if I worked for the next 35 yrs - til 70) was for £180 pcm....I left! Sad

I still have no pension but at least no-one pisses me off regularily

jingleoooggs · 12/12/2004 07:48

I'm a civil servant, on unpaid maternity until February. Just returned from holiday in USA so have no idea what is happening to the pensions.

Enlighten me please

prufRockingAroundtheXmasTree · 12/12/2004 09:32

\link{http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4079993.stm\here you are}

jingleoooggs · 12/12/2004 10:00

shit Angry

jac34 · 12/12/2004 10:07

Hi Tallulah,
I work for the NHS and have done for 16 years. They are doing exactly the same to our pension,as you say , we'll have to work longer for less pension and they are doing away with our lump sum.

My DH works for local government(same there too), we earn crap money and have absolutely no perks with our jobs, often working longer hours than we are contacted to, with no thanks and no overtime etc. Our only consilation was that we at least, would get a good pention when we finished.
I wonder if some of the poeple complaining about their private pensions would be happy to work for such crap money.
I'm also a bit annoyed that when I joined 16 years ago I signed up for the present scheme, but now it seems they can change it without any consultation.

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert · 12/12/2004 11:02

But all types of pensions and investments are a risk and nothing is ever guaranteed. Whatabout all those folks who had invested in the bank that went belly up (forget the name). Years of contributions, and then nothing. I have a small pension with Equitable Life and that's all gone pear shaped too.

jac34 · 12/12/2004 11:10

We were offered a scheme through our NHS pension, to make extra contributions.I did consider it at the time,that was with Equitable life, glad I didn't bother now.

jingleballs · 12/12/2004 11:13

we have a militry pension (DH does) apart from that ours will all go into savings, it seems a safer option as GB has something rediculas as a black hole in the pension budget, was it about 50 billion or something?

tallulah · 12/12/2004 11:32

It's been dressed up as good news but the fact is that we are paid considerably less than private industry & don't get any perks or bonuses because we have a decent pension scheme. They are now trying to bring in private industry conditions & working practices without the money & perks that goes with them.

Averaging the money is OK if you knew about it when you started, but for 5 years I was on the "Junior" payscale (now abolished) earning substantially less than my colleagues, so they are going to be using that as the baseline for my pension! I've been working since I was 16. I'm 41 now and they've moved the goalposts when it's too late for me to do anything about it.

My DH works in a supermarket & has no pension at all. All I can hope is that my four kids will be in a position to look after us in our old age between them Sad

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.