to access all these features

News

Charity rules for private schools

12 replies

seb1 · 16/01/2008 18:28

Independent schools could lose their charitable status under new rules

OP posts:
LIZS · 16/01/2008 18:30

It is n't really anything new. Many schools have already been working towards this for some time.

xtc · 16/01/2008 18:38

What exactly is public benefit?

ScienceTeacher · 16/01/2008 18:39

Saving the taxpayer £2billion per year?

edam · 16/01/2008 18:45

Yeah right, private schools are doing us plebs a massive favour, of course.

Blandmum · 16/01/2008 18:47

private schools now support places for children to the same degree that the government used to in the assisted places scheme.

the private school that mine go to supports 8 state school accademies

xtc · 16/01/2008 18:53

Our local private schools and there are few don't do anything at all for the local comp.

No visits to their lovely sports facilities and million pound developments.

ScienceTeacher · 16/01/2008 21:13

Charitible benefit is not necessarily about doing something directly for the local comp. I'm sure a lot of comp teachers would take umbrage about the mere suggestion.

Pollyanna · 16/01/2008 21:14

I think the reality is that very few schools (and private hospitals etc etc) will lose their charitable status over this.

NAB3wishesfor2008 · 16/01/2008 21:15

Why are private schools classed charities?

ScienceTeacher · 16/01/2008 21:23

private schools are charities because they do not make a profit.

ScienceTeacher · 16/01/2008 21:24

do not make a profit for shareholders, that is.

tortoiseSHELL · 16/01/2008 21:31

That's correct, there is no profit, everything is put back into the school, so the budget at the end of the year is 0.

I think it's debatable whether they are to the public good or not. In some areas I'm sure they are - taking pressure off school places, leaving more money to spend on state schools (as parents who send their child to a private school still contribute through their taxes to the state schools). Some will share facilities, extend Young Enterprise schemes etc.

In our area they are a total nightmare. There are a HUGE number of private schools, and virtually no good state secondary schools. The council seem to rely on the brighter children going private, and the state schools take the rest. Our results are shockingly bad - 3rd lowest in the country. In the whole of our city, only something like 35% got 5 or more GCSEs. For people like us who probably can't afford private schools for 3, it is a nightmare. If the children at the private schools were in the state sector, the city would HAVE to accommodate them.

They built a new school a couple of years back, which should be a good one, it is in a nice catchment area (we are not in it alas). However, on the gossip grapevine I have heard that lots of the people going there are actually people whose parents have sold an expensive house in London, moved to where we are (120 miles away), bought an expensive house right next to the school so they will commute back to London and their children go to that school. So not solving our schooling crisis at all.

Who said money can't buy a good state education?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.