My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

What's your opinion on this news story? Should this lad have his hair cut?

110 replies

Aero · 11/01/2008 20:40

Here.

I know looking smart is important and in my schooldays the rule was the same as this school, but haven't we moved on from 20 years ago? Shouldn't tying it back (same as girls) be enough? Just interested to see what the majority think.

OP posts:
sleepycat · 11/01/2008 20:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PersonalClown · 11/01/2008 20:43

Nothing wrong with having it neatly tied back IMO.

Aero · 11/01/2008 20:47

That's what I think too. As long as it's neat (though the pic doesn't suggest he ties it back), but I can't believe it's going to court!

OP posts:
dramaqueen · 11/01/2008 20:49

My ds's teacher asked me to get my son's hiar cut the other day. His fringe was in his eyes, so I cut his fringe but left the rest. It is lovely long wavy blond hair, a bit shorter than the lad in the news staory. He calls it his surfer dude look . He is nearly 7 by the way.

If a girl had that length hair, as in this story, she would not have it tied back or plaited.

evenhope · 11/01/2008 20:51

The boys at my DSs (Grammar) school all have hair like that- and longer. Isn't it sexual discrimination if you insist boys can't have long hair when girls can?

I'd have said all the school could insist on was that it was tied back.

LyraSilvertongue · 11/01/2008 20:51

I thought we'd left behind the days when all boys/men were supposed to have short back and sides. As long as he doesn't look scruffy I see no reason why he shouldn't have long hair. it's not interfering with his education or harming anyone.

Ubergeekian · 11/01/2008 21:32

The school needs to get down from its own chuff. What on earth does length of hair have to do with education? Still, that's Norn Iron for you - welcome to 1954.

nortynamechanger · 11/01/2008 21:35

Looks like it needs a damn good wash though.

MrsKittylette · 11/01/2008 21:38

I hate bollocks like this,

Bloody school uniforms,

I went to a catholic hight school.

Grey skirt, just above knee, hair in pony, no earrings not even studs, black shoes - no heels, black bag, black coat

no frigging identity.

It pisses me off so much, just because you are in school you cant be yourself, you have to look like a clone of everyone else? How does that improve learning?

I had my tongue pierced and the teacher asked me to stick my tounge out when he 'heard' from someone I had had it done (he didnt ever notice himself) I refused and got sent to the head. He told me that I was to stick my tongue out,

I argued no--one could see it, I had it done for 6 months before some gobby cow had told a nun!

So i said 'Im not sticking my tongue out because unless I do that its not noticable so it doesnt affect anyone'

He said I would be suspended so i showed him,

I then told him I knew at least 3 other girls in my year who had nipple rings and asked if he was going to do a breast inspection

Lol, he didnt mention it again though, so small triamph!

janeite · 11/01/2008 21:38

Ludicrous - even if it is down and "scruffy" why the hell shouldn't it be, if that's how he likes it? Girls in secondary school are allowed to have long hair and only tie it back for PE, technology etc - shouldn't be any different for boys. Do they ban female teachers from wearing trousers too? Grrrr.

Aero · 11/01/2008 22:59

I just thought things had moved on since these days and was surprised to see this on my bbc ticker (I'm from NI, so get NI reports). Headline news no less!

OP posts:
LittleBella · 11/01/2008 23:03

Surely this is sex discrimination?

Are schools exempt from the equal ops discrimination?

Mind you, norn Ireland is exempt from everything isn't it?

Can't see what's wrong with him tying it back.

Hulababy · 11/01/2008 23:04

In the schools I have worked at hair of tha length has to be tied back from the face in some way - same rules for girls and boys, Seems fair to me. His hair does appear to be quite unkempt in that photo and would be in his face whenever he bent forward to work.

madamez · 11/01/2008 23:07

The school would be reasonable to insist that hair is tied or indeed clipped back for some lessons (science, technology, food preparation or sports), but the length of hair shouldn't be anyone else's business. Objecting to long hair on males is outdated sexist bullshit - what would the school do if a girl wanted a no1 crop, I wonder?

Aero · 11/01/2008 23:14

I do agree hula, that it's rather scruffy (in terms of how schools, esp grammar schools, expect pupils to present themselves), but surely tying it back should be acceptable. I wish it were more clear on his position. It doesn't state whether he's willing to tie it out of his face.

OP posts:
Scotia · 11/01/2008 23:16

My uncle was quite the celebrity in the 1960s when he refused to have his hair cut - probably about the time of the Beatles . He was put in a girls' class and his story was in newspapers all over the world - he got fanmail from Japan!

Hulababy · 11/01/2008 23:19

Aero - just read my post back. When I say "Seems fair to me" - I meant my first sentence -- having same rule for girls and boys and insisting it is tied back, not the outright ban for boys. Not sure if that was clear.

StealthPolarBear · 11/01/2008 23:22

my dad got into trouble at school for not having his hair tied back Now a respectable engineer and a grandad - always makes me smile!

Tortington · 11/01/2008 23:22

we like our children to conform and have no outward identity - because suggesting that one can have a seperate identity, might lead to chaos

what a crock of shit

Spidermama · 11/01/2008 23:22

OMG that's so scarey.

That poor boy. If there's any way of guarunteeing he leaves County Antrim like a shot the second he is able, this is surely it.

What next? Ask the judge to allow dunking of girls caught with essential oils?

I'm so glad I live in Brighton.

edam · 11/01/2008 23:24

I can't believe the school thinks dragging the boy to court is a sensible use of anyone's time or money. FGS, he hasn't dyed it bright pink with yellow dots!

Aero · 11/01/2008 23:29

Iswym - yes. Same rules for girls and boys is perfectly acceptable and I do think that pupils should keep their appearance neat. A lot can be said about the general reputation of the school by pupils appearance.

A local comp of ours has had a uniform overhaul in the last few years, and the sudden appearance of a blazer and tie sems to have 'upped' the reputation of the school to local people and the pupils are smarter in appearance making first impressions better iyswim.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

madamez · 11/01/2008 23:47

Edam: even if he (and his whole class) dyed their hair pink it would not affect their ability to learn or go about their daily business. Too many school rules are about enforcing submission and conformity rather than having any practical basis.

Aero · 12/01/2008 13:23

Any more thoughts from the weekend crowd?

OP posts:
hana · 12/01/2008 13:26

ridiculous, it's 2008!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.