to access all these features

News

£20 a week tax break for married couples

121 replies

southeastastra · 10/07/2007 10:53

so say the tories fgs

OP posts:
eleusis · 10/07/2007 11:11

So, he's gonna give me £20 a week to get out of the work force? And that is a good idea for our country and economy why?!?!

I generally support the tories, but I am not in favour of encouraging people let's face it we are talking about women to leave the workforce. Fine if they want to and can afford it, but not if they need government support to do it.

expatinscotland · 10/07/2007 11:11

Is he going to pay my rent, too?

eleusis · 10/07/2007 11:14

Hi expat.

expatinscotland · 10/07/2007 11:15

Honestly, where'd they come up with £20/week figure.

Are they really that detached from reality?

persephonesnape · 10/07/2007 11:18

This Penalises children whose parents don?t marry or who are the innocent parties in family break up. Maybe women who are the victims of domestic violence should just stay put ? after all financial problems can be a consideration if you?re going to stay with an abusive partner.

They?ll be dead set against the state paying single mothers to stay at home and bring up their children, but if you?ve got a man to support you, that?s ok then, the state will top that up.

Doesn?t tax credits do this already, except for all children and every family below the income threshold.?

NaeDanger · 10/07/2007 11:20

it's so easy to say all these things when you aren't in power.
frighteningly i agree with alot of what they say.
i feel dirty.

doggiesayswoof · 10/07/2007 11:22

Backward step - but hey, it's the tories!

Headline grabbing, vote grabbing, no substance policy - and it flies in the face of 'equality'

What about same sex couples? Or as persephone says couples who don't get married or have broken up?

bozzaNatasha · 10/07/2007 11:22

I am married. I don't really see why I should get £20/week for that. I already have loads of savings over a single person through having a combined household. I am also the mother of two children. I think any state help I get should be related to that and not the fact that DH put a ring on my finger and signed a piece of paper 10 years ago.

SueBaroo · 10/07/2007 11:22

NaeDanger, lol, me too.

chevre · 10/07/2007 11:23

they are arseholes. i know labour have made mistakes but this lot of unreconstructed 19th century patriarchal nobs should not be voted in.

come on ming make an effort.

hana · 10/07/2007 11:24

didn't they also say that they would pass on the tax allowance of the spouse that isn't working to the one that is? I'm in favour of that

doggiesayswoof · 10/07/2007 11:24

Argh I also see they want to hand over 'failing schools' to parents and charities - what century is this? Are we back to Robert Owen and schools only surviving because of meddling philanthropists?

mslucy · 10/07/2007 11:25

it's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

£20 buys you what exactly these days?

The Tories really are a complete shower of shite.

SueBaroo · 10/07/2007 11:26

hana, yes, I think the tax allowance thing is the substance of the proposal. Bringeth it on, I says.

persephonesnape · 10/07/2007 11:28

i fail to see why my children should be penalised because their dad couldn't keep his dick in his pants. Bet he wouldn't have been thinking about the £80 a month his children would lose when he was off oat spraying.

Why shouldn?t my children have the same advantages as children with two parents? Why should they pay for his mistakes?

eleusis · 10/07/2007 12:27

This annoys me from the perspective of a married working parent. They tax me to go to work (in the form of childcare), now they are going to pay people to not go to work. There is something wrong with that scenario.

Do you think he is trying to appeal to the people he pissed off in the Grammar School row?

eleusis · 10/07/2007 12:30

Wonder if I can have £85 of my nanny tax back at the end of the month for being married?

bozzaNatasha · 10/07/2007 12:30

So a childless but married woman could sit around all day and get a tax break, but an unmarried (for whatever reason) mother would not?

berolina · 10/07/2007 12:37

Germany has a married couples' splitting system, with the result that married couples (with children or not) with very unequal income, or where one partner doesn't earn, can end up being several hundred euros better off a month than unmarried ones. We have benefitted greatly from it in the past - although it was me who was the earner and not dh, so we didn't benefit in a 'conservative' way iyswim. But I still think it's wrong. Now a family splitting system which benefits families, married, unmarried or lone parents, with children, that I could and would support.

Anna8888 · 10/07/2007 12:40

France also has a very complex way of benefiting families fiscally. But its basic aim is to encourage production of children. And it works - France's birthrate is very high compared with other developed countries.

Tortington · 10/07/2007 12:44

i thin its a good idea- it might encourage fornicators to do the right thng

mumblechum · 10/07/2007 12:49

I don't geddit.

If you're both working, but are married, do you get this £20 a week?

Do you have to be on a low income?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Reallytired · 10/07/2007 12:49

I think he is right that the current system does penalise people who are married.

I don't see how the tories policies are encouraging women to leave the work force. Its just about giving more choice.

Flum · 10/07/2007 12:51

We have a good household income yet, £20 a week would definately make a difference. I would be able to have an extra nights babysitting so could go out binge drinking with husband - excellent.

batters · 10/07/2007 12:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.