My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

watching the floods story on the news - 1 IN 4 households dont have house insurance

197 replies

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:46

and they are calling on the government to help them out

if the government are willing ot help people out who dont have insurance, ie give them money i presume, then, er, why do i have insurance???

OP posts:
throckenholt · 06/07/2007 10:47

that was my thought - much as I feel sorry for those who have lost it all - they chose not to have insurance (for whatever reason).

I don't like how much ours costs - but we have decided it is important if things go wrong.

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:48

yes throckenholt my thinking exactly

OP posts:
Aitch · 06/07/2007 10:49

ours costs a bloody fortune...

still, poor bastards. i don't imagine the govt will be exactly generous.

RTKangaMummy · 06/07/2007 10:49

I said that to DH

and those who do have insurance will their premiums go up??

I feel sorry for them but I don't think it is fair on those of them who do have insurance

One of our friend's house had a bad fire and he didn't have insurance so had to replace everything himself ~~~ he now does have insurance

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:50

but aitch that isnt the point

plus naively i thought you had to had insurance to have a mortgage. are a lot fo the affected houses rented, possibly?

OP posts:
Oblomov · 06/07/2007 10:50

All the flooding in Yorkshire was on the news. Apparently Hull is still under water and hasn't been given any coverage - ????
We have to have insurance as part of our mortgage. Is that not the norm ?

MrMaloryTowers · 06/07/2007 10:51

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoodleStroodle · 06/07/2007 10:51

But for some people insurance is a luxury
And why will my insurance premiums go up - insurance companies aren't going to give money to uninsured people - it will be up to govts, local authroities etc

expatinscotland · 06/07/2007 10:51

How can you not have house insurance? I thought you had to if you had a mortgage?

Contents insurance doesn't cost much at all!

Even when DH was a council tenant, the council offered contents insurace through a contracting company at a cut price rate.
It was like £4/month for £10,000 worth of insurance.

NoodleStroodle · 06/07/2007 10:52

Insurance with morgage would be buildings only - for subsidence and flood damage etc to the fabric of the house but not for TV and carpets etc

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:52

i aslo saw a prgramme where 2 hosues fell down due to subsidence (houses next door to each other) one has been rebuilt and looks great, they had insurance, the other is still a pile of rubble cos the owners didnt have insurance, they have been rehoused cos they were homeless, they have just left the rubble and mess. sad obv cos they have lost all their possessions, but unreal all the same that they have just left the rubble

OP posts:
MrMaloryTowers · 06/07/2007 10:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VoluptuaGoodshag · 06/07/2007 10:52

You have to have buildings insurance for a mortgage but not contents.

We don't have contents. It's all about risk assessment. We do not live in a flood area, house fires are rare and we have fire doors and hard wired smoke alarms and any burglaries are only for quick sell things for cash.

Enid · 06/07/2007 10:52

dh agrees with you naily

i feel sorry for those people though - they took a risk and it didnt pay off

not their fault their houses were built on flood plains

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:53

noodle

that is my point
why bother having insurance of the govt/local authorities are going to bail you out

OP posts:
Aitch · 06/07/2007 10:53

when dh and were younger and lived in rented accom, we didn't have home insurance. we couldn't afford it. of course we did live at the top of a hill but we knew that if there was a house fire or something we were screwed.

expatinscotland · 06/07/2007 10:54

£4 a month for all your gear isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

And he was on JSA at the time!

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:54

enid

if you live in a risky area (floods or whatever)
surely you have a maassive reason the have insurance!!!!!!!

OP posts:
Enid · 06/07/2007 10:55

some people dont realise

we are insured up to the hilt personally but we can afford it

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:55

Aitch

you prob wouldnt be screwed

looks like the govt would have helped you out

OP posts:
RTKangaMummy · 06/07/2007 10:55

But I think maybe some people spend their money on other stuff like cars, Satelite TV, smoking or drinking or clothes

And they think they don't want to spend money on insurance ~ cos they think it will never happen to them.

I deffo think the gov should not pay for them

Unless they are going to pay for everyone including those who have prepared for problems

So pay everyone or no-one

foxinsocks · 06/07/2007 10:55

there are some people who cannot get insurance anymore because their houses have been flooded before - OR, the insurers put their premiums up so much because of prior flooding that they, genuinely, cannot afford to pay the premiums

there are some people who do not choose to have insurance though, for whatever reason

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:56

you dont have to be insured "up to the hilt" tho

basic home insurance is pennies, as expat said

OP posts:
NoodleStroodle · 06/07/2007 10:56

Because the govt & local authroity will not bail you out to the extent that an insurance company would - and there is no guarantee that they will and to what extent. Govt is mincing around this at the moment.

nailpolish · 06/07/2007 10:56

yes, kanga

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.