News

The logo behind President Bush reads

19 replies

seamonster · 31/05/2007 15:22

'U.S. Global Leadership Campaign.'

Should we be worried?

OP posts:
whomovedmychocolate · 31/05/2007 16:50

No more than usual. Although they are not normally so honest about such things!

appledumpling · 31/05/2007 17:00

He did say the US needed to look at alternative energy sources so they didn't have to rely on supplies from "places where they don't like us very much".

Did he have anywhere specific in mind do you think?!

Eleusis · 31/05/2007 17:06

I think Russia would be a good guess. And if the UK leaders have any sense at all they'll be thinking the same thing (and I think they probably are).

Eleusis · 31/05/2007 17:07

Where is this logo?

appledumpling · 31/05/2007 17:14

On BBC News 24 they were showing President Bush making a speech on the US's policy on climate change, developing countries, debt relief etc. The logo was behind the desk he was standing at.

seamonster · 31/05/2007 17:27

How about most of the rest of the world appledumpling?
I'm not anti- American but it did strike me as a little 'strange'.
It reminded me of Austin Powers' Dr.Evil(?) IYSWIM

OP posts:
appledumpling · 31/05/2007 21:43

I actually had Iraq in mind but the rest of the world is probably quite accurate!

I'm not anti-American per se but I cannot bring myself to agree with their foreign policy and it really annoys me that they won't sign up to the Kyoto Treaty.

seamonster · 31/05/2007 21:47

Exactly. And some of them still don't believe in global warming!

OP posts:
paulaplumpbottom · 31/05/2007 22:51

The treaty makes no sense for the States. It would be a disaster for their economy.

Pan · 31/05/2007 23:25

Weeeel it's a fairly safe sign up. "Targets" without penalties are simply platitudes of future intent and look good, but..really...they have lost nothing. PR rules.

paulaplumpbottom · 31/05/2007 23:28

Why sign up for something you don't intend to do, why get upset if they don't sign it if it doesn't mean anything

wrinklytum · 31/05/2007 23:35

We should be terrified.

Pan · 31/05/2007 23:45

As it looks good, and the US have put themselves in a bit of a corner and the republicans don't wish to look totally out of synch with therest of the world..and politicians sign up for lots of things with no intent to see them through.

Frizbe · 31/05/2007 23:48

Some of the countries signed upto Kyoto aren't going to hit their targets anyway Canada for example, did anyone see newsnight re their tar sands last week I think it was?

Eleusis · 01/06/2007 08:25

Now, who IS meeting their Ktoto targets?

13 of 15 EU countries not meeting them as of 2003

I fully support not signing up to Kytoto because the requirements are not global. Different countries have different restrictions, penalties, etc. This approach promotes oil companies to build refineries in third world countries, henc bringing them more cancer and other ill effects of the industry. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is, in my opinion, rather short sighted.

Eleusis · 01/06/2007 08:28

Oh, and those sceptical that global warming is a result of human behaviour are certainly not exclusively American.

Oh, and "I'm not anti-American but..." is usually the start of an anti-American sentence.

Anoah · 01/06/2007 08:56

Appledumpling, the Kyoto treaty would destroy the american economy and would throw many Americans out of work and into poverty without doing very much for the climate. As the leader of a country you cannot sign onto something that will destroy your people. The Kyoto treaty is not as wonderful as it seems as far as helping the environment.

seamonster · 01/06/2007 09:39

ISWYM about Kyoto. Something real should be in force. But even if it was about setting an example and showing they were willing signing it would have surely helped. I am not (quite obviously) very up to speed with these things at the moment

OP posts:
Eleusis · 01/06/2007 09:56

Technically we did sign it, but then we un-signed it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.