to access all these features

News

radiation the cause of death for the Russian

30 replies

zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 15:04

..how worrying for all concerned

OP posts:
southeastastra · 24/11/2006 15:18

it was so weird he seemed to be getting better. though i don't suppose they'd tell us the truth really.

zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 15:19

there are teams dpoing computer models and investigating his home and the restaurant for the risk to others

OP posts:
zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 15:22

what a horrible way to die for the poor man, Mr litvinenko, and his family

OP posts:
figroll · 24/11/2006 15:42

I heard on the bbc news the other morning that there were packages lodged in his intestines, yet no one has mentioned these since. I wonder what that was all about - or may be it was a report from the Daily Mail that was quickly shown to be a blatant lie (like most of its other reporting).

Radiation - I wonder where he picked that up. Interesting - poor chap.

zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 15:45

the intestine thing was a red herring it was prussian blue used in his treatment and shadows not packages

the radiation is from something called er polonium210 they think

he made a statement before he died blaming Putin it is all very 60s

OP posts:
figroll · 24/11/2006 16:06

Yes I thought that. Like that chap who had the poison injected into his leg with an umbrella on a bridge in London. Very James Bond - I thought all that stuff was over tbh.

zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 16:06

it's quite amazing that this has happened for the first time ever..the radiation protection agency have a real live crime to deal with

OP posts:
southeastastra · 24/11/2006 16:06

he was only 43 too

zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 16:08

it's surprising as well after they dismissed the thalium thing and why has it taken until last night to discover his urine was radioactive

which sushi bar was it

OP posts:
zippitippitoes · 24/11/2006 16:11

in Piccadilly aparently, police are outside it to maintain public order

OP posts:
Callisto · 24/11/2006 17:13

I can't imagine that we will ever know the truth behind this. GB won't want to put strain on diplomatic relations with Russia. It is very cold war but that is Putin really. I feel very sorry for him and his wife and everyone else who has stood up to the current Russian regime and paid the ultimate price. Sorry about the cliche btw, couldn't think of another way of putting it.

FioFio · 24/11/2006 20:07

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

themoon66 · 24/11/2006 20:55

Why zippi 'of all people'?

AitchTwoOh · 24/11/2006 20:58

was anyone watching the interveiw with anna politkovskaya on BBC"? i feel totally humbled...

TwoIfBySea · 24/11/2006 22:02

I don't know much about radioactive poisoning but what about people who are working in these places? They would have been in direct contact all this time.

hunkermunker · 24/11/2006 22:06

Just really scary this sort of thing happens.

Does anyone remember seeing the Russians sedate one of the relatives who was making a fuss after the submarine tragedy?

(I realise "the Russians" isn't quite the right term btw!)

zippitippitoes · 25/11/2006 09:18

and what happens that we don't know about

fio is my twin by the way

though she would probably say i am her twin!

OP posts:
zippitippitoes · 25/11/2006 11:36

having read the paper on this...I can't help thinking that to some extent what goes around comes around he seems to have done a fair bit of extra legal assassination himslef

Russian politics is claerly still very mysterious

OP posts:
FioFio · 25/11/2006 20:03

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Jimjams2 · 25/11/2006 21:22

I found this REALLY shocking. Somehow very unBristish (or is it? David Kelly anyone?). On British soil.

Did watch a very interesting documentary about Putin etc on the BBC a while ago. Russian politics is still very mysterious.

My Dad want to Russia during the midst of the cold war (work). He was in a closed area. His train was stopped to check him out as they had never seen a foreigner in the area before and he was followed by men in long raincoats. He liked Russia though (they gave him lots of vodka!)

themoon66 · 25/11/2006 22:38

Fio... when you said 'Zippi, you of all people'... my imagination ran riot. I thought, Hmm, zippi must be a russian spy or something

edam · 25/11/2006 23:01

Good point re David Kelly, Jimjams.

No doubt the government will ensure it's hushed up. And they've made a good start by delaying the police investigation for three weeks.

A murder trial would be a real embarrassment to our diplomats. I mean, who cares that a man has been killed and members of the public placed at risk, compared with the need to maintain good relationships with Putin...

zippitippitoes · 26/11/2006 19:18

interesting article about him I read in which he is described as being in the army and then recruited to the kgb and became a colonel responsible for killoing extra legally which he apparently was happy doing until he didn't agree with it any more and sought asylum here

he had only been a british Citizen one month..how odd that they waited until he wa sone to kill him? a mistake surely

OP posts:
zippitippitoes · 30/11/2006 18:07

it does sound strange listening to the russians

OP posts:
zippitippitoes · 01/12/2006 07:00

trail almost like following radioactive footprints as the net closes Russia and the kremlin imlicated

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.