Please
or
to access all these features

News

Virginia called for Democrats - Senate under Democrat control

17 replies

morningpaper · 09/11/2006 08:38

(According to the Associated Press)

OK possibly I am the only person on Mumsnet interested but let me say that it is a VERY HAPPY DAY CHEZ MORNINGPAPER

OP posts:
Greensleeves · 09/11/2006 08:42

mildly festive ambiens chez Greensleeves too

morningpaper · 09/11/2006 08:45

Would you like one of my Hillary For President flags?

OP posts:
NotQuiteCockney · 09/11/2006 08:46

Woohoo!

I was quite chuffed about this election in the run up to it, as it did sound like things would turn, but still, excellent result!

(Is it worth pointing out that, thanks to rampant gerrymandering, the democrats have to get a massive majority of the vote in order to get a majority of the house?)

morningpaper · 09/11/2006 08:49

Hope so NCQ

Have not quite recovered from Kerry's defeat

Can hardly WAIT for 2008

OP posts:
NotQuiteCockney · 09/11/2006 08:57

Hmm, I'm not getting too optimistic about 2008. The Democrats seem to be having a real hard time fielding anyone properly, imo. How badly did they mess up to lose with a bloody war veteran running?

morningpaper · 09/11/2006 09:00

I can't hear you

OP posts:
edam · 09/11/2006 09:00

SUCH a relief. Now let's see them actually do something.

Flamesparrow · 09/11/2006 09:00

here too

2ManyPimms · 09/11/2006 09:48

This American is jumping up and down with unbridled excitement! Only TWO MORE YEARS!

Thanksgiving WILL be something to celebrate this year!

JoolsToo · 09/11/2006 10:03

2 points

1. wouldn't you have thought the results would have been more of a landslide?

1. didn't John Kerry harm the Democrats with his 'if you don't study you'll end up in Iraq' gaff?
edam · 09/11/2006 10:04

SUCH a relief. Now let's see them actually do something.

somethingunderthebedisdrooling · 09/11/2006 10:06

methinks my left leaning american friends are finally feeling better about their countrymen - in general.

and the smug smiles of the right leaning friends have been washed off.

southeastastra · 09/11/2006 10:30

what exactly does this mean? i know nothing about american politics

morningpaper · 09/11/2006 10:34

southeastastra: the good guys have done well

the naughty boys have not done well

JT The way the press jumped on Kerry for that gaffe was very British, I thought. Bush's response was great: ""The members of the United States military are plenty smart and they are plenty brave and the senator from Massachusetts owes them an apology," Mr Bush said."

Is that proper English, even in America?!

OP posts:
somethingunderthebedisdrooling · 09/11/2006 10:37

it means bush is now hog-tied. any bill he wants to pass has to go before the house of representatives and then the senate. without their approval he can do very little. previously both houses were controlled by the Republican party so a lot of his policies were rubber stamped.

i think that he will now go on a 2-year long holiday to Crawford Texas. Seeing Donnie Rumsfeld resign yesterday just shows how badly the party has suffered. He's been an albatross for a while but only this has brought his resignation.

JoolsToo · 09/11/2006 10:50

oh I agree mp. Every little word is dissected these days and it pees me off no end, but rightly or wrongly the statement is out there and it's embarrassing.

sorry about my gaffe

SenoraPostrophe · 09/11/2006 11:00

fabby. and just to show that the majority of americans really aren't right-wing lunatics, they voted down the abortion bans in - er, was it south dakta? - too. I almost have faith in humanity again.

what was your gaffe jt?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.