Please
or
to access all these features

News

Car stolen with baby in back seat

9 replies

hulababy · 20/07/2006 18:13

Here

Sounds like the theif took the car without knowing the baby was in the back. But he must have nnoticed because the baby was later found in his car seat outside the police station. Yet the driver was arrested afterwards, after crashing the car and needing to go to hospital.

"Det Ch Insp Nikki Holland, of Merseyside Police, said: "Fortunately incidents such as this are rare, but I would like to take this opportunity to stress to motorists that if they leave their car unattended at any time they must ensure the car is properly secured.

"This must be every parent's nightmare and to avoid this I would like to remind parents not to leave their children unattended in cars." "

I know this has been "done" on MN loads, but have to say that I never leave DD int he car and just can't ever see me doing so. I know it must be much tougher if you have two or more children in tow. But I just can't take the risk when I don't have to I'm afraid.

OP posts:
hulababy · 20/07/2006 18:13

Not that I am laying ANY blame with the parents I must add. The blame and fault lies entirely with the theif.

OP posts:
brimfull · 20/07/2006 18:22

It doesn't say where the car was left.

In his drive?
At the petrol station?

I was guilty of leaving my two in the car .

Xena · 20/07/2006 18:39

"Fortunately incidents such as this are rare, but I would like to take this opportunity to stress to motorists that if they leave their car unattended at any time they must ensure the car is properly secured.

So did they leave the child in their without locking the door?

out side the school the other day, van parked on corner, double yellow lines, 3yo child on own screaming, windows open, keys in the ignition, engine RUNNING!! FFS Your see her on the news one day crying that her hild has been kidnapped

I do not get the children out of the car when I go to the petrol station as they are 8,4,2 and 0 and I think its safer but I lock the doors and don't take my eyes off them, only to tap my pin in the machine.

hulababy · 20/07/2006 19:17

At the two petrol stations I use regularly I simply cannot see my car form inside. The windows are two high up (I am not tall either) and then there are shelves and stuff over part of it too.

I wonder why there aren't more credit card machine ones? I use one of those at Asda occasionally if passing (not on my way normally) and they have them all over in Florida.

The story is still very sketchy. Doesn't say where the parent(s) were at the time, or make it clear if car was locked or not.

OP posts:
NomDePlume · 20/07/2006 19:19

Sorry Hula. This sort of thread always ends in a massive hoo-har
hulababy · 20/07/2006 19:20

I know. Don't really want the whole debate stuff as such. Just more the story really. Just read it and was glad the little one was found safe but was that the baby was left outside a police station.

OP posts:
Callisto · 20/07/2006 20:53

Thank god the car thief did leave the child at the cop shop. So much worse could have happened. Must have been utterly terrifying for the parents whatever the circumstances.

hulababy · 20/07/2006 21:48

TYhe shocked was more that the theif (presumably) had driven to the police station in a stolen car, taken the baby seat out of the car with baby in and left in there - rather than just desert the car and baby together, or desert baby on the streets once he discovered him. Seems such a risk??? Or maybe it is a theif with a conscience!

OP posts:
anthonykiedisbitontheside · 20/07/2006 21:50

Omg thats right by where I live!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.