My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

Returning to Work and the process of change - how much support did you recieve?

3 replies

RuthT · 16/04/2006 12:09

I recently returned to work after 8 months of being a stay at home mum and although it has broadened my views I intrinsically have not changed. I still want to go to work and although I love my child with a passion I could not 24/7 look after her.

Having said that I found the transition back to work extremely difficult. Week 1 I was a bit of a loon as my brain tried to work out what I now wanted from the job that had once been a substantial portion of my life.

Although I have a supportive line manager and partner I did not share, nor did they have a clue, of what I was going through.

I am sure that many returners turn around at the first day and either decide to leave or tune out.

I now wonder what support could be put in place for parents who return to work after a period of time off, and could that support enable more returners to work?

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 18/04/2006 08:47

Some comoanies offer buddies for when people are on long term leave to keep up to date with things then support them when they return.

RuthT · 18/04/2006 14:51

That is a good idea - just along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you think it would be valued?

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 18/04/2006 15:47

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.