My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Putting a wash on with no fabric conditioner...

45 replies

ElfOnTheTopShelf · 31/08/2008 11:10

... is it a sign of a slattern or perfectly okay?

OP posts:
RhinestoneCowgirl · 02/09/2008 15:46

I really hate the smell of fabric conditioner now, haven't used it for years (just use Ecover Laundry Liquid). I find it really noticeable when someone gives me a bag of handmedowns for DS, I get a big whoosh of perfumey smells...

Thought you weren;t supposed to use it on towels anyway as it affects their absorbency?

RhinestoneCowgirl · 02/09/2008 15:47

hanaflower - great minds!

expatinscotland · 02/09/2008 15:52

Don't ever use it on towels or fleece or any sort of GoreTex or breathable fabric layer.

I don't use it myself because prefer the clothes to smell like fresh air.

I put jeans and towels in the dryer for about 20 minutes before pegging them out and they stay soft.

If it's a particularly soiled load, I put a small tea mug of vinegar with a few drops of lavender oil added into the fabric softener drawer and replace about half the washing powder with soda crystals. Then dry outside and it will smell heavenly.

Zazette · 02/09/2008 16:05

Re the 'simply' products cece linked to: I have used them sometimes and quite like them, but be careful if you use them in the delicates cycle - I was traumatised recently when one failed to dissolve properly, stuck in a lump to a new dress, and bleached some of the colour out of it. Ecover and Clear Spring laundry liquids are my top tips - lovely delicate smells, rinse out well, and clean effectively. Never use fabric softener with them, though I do use vinegar sometimes (also use that in the dishwasher instead of rinse aid btw!)

stleger · 02/09/2008 16:10

Bustles off to wash things and dry them for 20 mins before pegging out - I love expat laundry tips! I do it the other way round usually.

AnnVan · 02/09/2008 17:16

Interesting thread - I'm going to be using cloth nappies, and I know you're not supposed to use softener on them, as it reduces their absorbancy. Must buy some white vinegar though. Am turning into an eco-mum, who'd have thought?

ellideb · 02/09/2008 17:27

I use it as it makes my clothes lovely and soft and protects the fibres in the long term. I also use it roughly every other wash on my towels so that they come out soft and fluffy but still absorb water. I love the smell and could spend hours with my nose stuck in a bottle. I like to smell them all before I buy one when I go shopping. I do get some weird looks though . I think I might be a bit weird though because I get immense pleasure from just standing in front of the washing machine, watching it in action

TheDevilWearsPrimark · 02/09/2008 17:29

Oh ironing water is good good stuff, especially for bed linen.

But I don't actually iron them with it, I just spritz them when they come out of the wash.

We use ecover so otherwise they smell of nothing, and you don't get the lovely clean sheets feeling.

FluffyMummy123 · 02/09/2008 17:29

Message withdrawn

Tutter · 02/09/2008 17:30

me too

my mum hates it

but my towels are softer than hers (ner)

pagwatch · 02/09/2008 17:31

never use it. DS2 and 3 get really bad skin if I use it. And I have always thought it was a huge waste of money.

BecauseImWorthIt · 02/09/2008 17:33

Some stuff goes too staticky without fabric conditioner.

DrNortherner · 02/09/2008 17:35

I like it. Love the smell of clean fresh laundry blowing on my line. Makes me feel like a woman.

expatinscotland · 02/09/2008 17:43

now ironing water i do like.

mmmmm. it smells nice.

FourArms · 02/09/2008 17:48

I use the water from the tumble drier condenser to iron with. Makes everything smell lovely. Must be the fabric conditioner residue?

SaintGeorge · 02/09/2008 18:20

I never use conditioner.

But for those who do, grab yourself a free bottle at Asda on Friday & Saturday this week.

Tortington · 02/09/2008 18:22

i dont use it - marketing bollocks, killoing the nvironment.

Loshad · 02/09/2008 18:38

Don't use it, makes me and the kids itch, smells vile. just a ploy by various companies to make more money from you.

pointydog · 02/09/2008 18:50

I never use it. Buy perfume if you want to smell strongly.

MatNanPlus · 02/09/2008 19:51

OK, the nappies came out with the barrier cream residue removed, they and the towel were soft and nothing smelled of vinegar actually didn't smell of anything and the went on the line and are now dry and the nappies and towel are nice ans oft which they aren't normally, it had got to the stage were i had to peg the nappies up where i was going to fold them to make life easier.

It also reduces static cling they say BIWI - not tested that yet as i only seem to have that when i tumble dry stuff.

So i rate it a success.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.