My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Decluttering clothes - how on earth do you do it?

16 replies

Scootergrrrl · 07/07/2008 12:44

I need to get rid of the piles of clothes scattered around the house before we move - is there a rule for decluttering clothes and shoes?

OP posts:
Wendyjayb · 07/07/2008 12:46

If i haven't worn it for over 9 months then it goes in the bin

misselizabethbennett · 07/07/2008 12:48

Anything that's hanging neatly in the wardrobe or folded in the drawers can be chucked out.

Everything you actually wear is probably in the piles around the house/washing machine/ironing. Works for me.

JackieNo · 07/07/2008 12:52

I'd say 12 months as the cut-off, to cover a whole year's worth of possible occasions/weather. Maybe get a blunt friend in, who can tell you what suits you and what doesn't, too. Also they don't have the emotional connection to the clothes that you have, so can persuade you to be more ruthless than you might otherwise be.

hana · 07/07/2008 12:55

are you talking yourself or your children?

for kids - (we don't have that many in the first place as not much storage.....) I am pretty ruthless - keep it to a handful of jeans and tops and dresses. Anything stained or stretched or just too lived in I don't save for the younger siblings.

Scootergrrrl · 07/07/2008 13:07

We were talking about all of us - particularly DD who has hundreds of clothes. I've got a fair few too

Any similar rules for shoes??

OP posts:
willali · 07/07/2008 13:30

the only exception to the 12 month rule (above)is wuth classic evening wear or work suits etc (unless you will not be working in the next 12 months) and you should also keep an outfit suitable for funerals as the last thing you will want to do in those circumstances is go shopping (speaking from experience!). Otherwise be ruthless - do not say to yourself "maybe I will wear this one day" or "I will fit into this again one day" - YOU WILL NOT!!!!

robinpud · 07/07/2008 13:39

12 monhts rule definitely; except for aboslute classics/eveing wear.

Kids- if you wouldn't pack it for a holiday and wouldn't let them play out in it or wear it to a party then it probably needs to go.

If handed over bags of clothes from friends, go through it before the dc do as the things you hate they will love and wear daily to mortify you.

If wardropbe rail is straining, then lots needs to go.

Scootergrrrl · 07/07/2008 13:44

You mean I'll never have the figure I had when I was 18 again? Rats

OP posts:
Scootergrrrl · 07/07/2008 15:20

Five bags GONE - I'm a decluttering demon (I've run out of steam now though and feel I deserve a nice gin and tonic )

OP posts:
JackieNo · 07/07/2008 15:23

Well done you . Definitely a large gin and tonic (maybe 2 - in the interests of decluttering the gin, you understand).

hana · 07/07/2008 16:08

wow! that is a lot. I don't think I'd have 5 bin bags of clothes!

jumpingbeans · 07/07/2008 16:11

I get all my stuff out on the bed, go through it, smile, remembering the last time i wore it, remember how i love the feel of the material and the colour, then I put it all back

Scootergrrrl · 07/07/2008 16:58

Pedal bin bags - not big ones!

OP posts:
OurHamsterisevil · 07/07/2008 22:01

I did this recently as I have lost 2 stone at WW. Refuse to be a bigger size again. Alos finally said goodbye to my pre-children shoes. Lots of heels that I never wear.

It feels great. My local charity shop is overflowing

Califrau · 07/07/2008 22:03

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scootergrrrl · 08/07/2008 11:49

The saleable ones are going to the charity shop and anything which is not really resellable is going to the local homeless project. Don't worry - the reason I've got into this untidy state is that I can't bin ANYTHING!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.