My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Black curtains, would they look Ok?

13 replies

WonderingWhy · 02/06/2008 16:35

Seen some very thick long curtains which we need for our extraordinary windows...they are velvet and lined and the right length.

However they are black.

I don't mind that in itself but when they are closed, it will be a huge expanse of blackness - about 10ft high and around 8ft wide, so essentially all of one wall.

It's a huge room and can take it but will it look horribly gloomy? Not sure what to do.

And what colour to paint the walls to lessen the impact?

OP posts:
WonderingWhy · 02/06/2008 16:36

COuld I do a sort of pelmet thingy with a long trim, to break up the darkness a bit? Would that work do you think?

OP posts:
FluffyMummy123 · 02/06/2008 16:37

Message withdrawn

MamaG · 02/06/2008 16:38

I wouldn't do a pelmet but agree that theyd' look very impressive/dramatic with plain light walls

OverMyDeadBody · 02/06/2008 16:39

I think it would look good in a big room, wuld probaly go with any colour tbh, just keep it in style with the period of the room and the furnishings.

Walnutshell · 02/06/2008 16:39

potentially very dramatic. lovely.

gloomy = cosy

OverMyDeadBody · 02/06/2008 16:39

no to the pelmet

GrapefruitMoon · 02/06/2008 16:42

You could have those tassled curtain tie-backs in a different colour (gold or silver? or whatever other colour is in the room)

WonderingWhy · 02/06/2008 16:51

Hmm. I want it to be cosy definitely, most of our furniture is reds, yellows, old cupboards and dressers etc.

I was thinking of making some panels from the fabric on my profile and then hanging these alongside, maybe - to break it up a bit?

Glad nobody said 'eek, goth city'

Not keen on white walls though. I'm stuck for wall colour!

OP posts:
WonderingWhy · 02/06/2008 16:53

Or maybe to put those on the inside of the velvet ones, so they let through the light with the pattern, and then when it gets really cold I could close the velvet ones right in to the middle.

Layering I suppose.

Does anyone know where you can get multi curtain tracks that would carry the weight? They must weigh about 15 kilos or more.

OP posts:
GrapefruitMoon · 02/06/2008 16:57

Hmmm can't say I am keen on that fabric on your profile....too middle aged for me!

Grey is very fashionable for walls at the moment and you can get "warm" shades...

Walnutshell · 02/06/2008 17:02

Quite like the fabric actually.

I know what you mean about white walls, I always shudder at the thought of using neutral colours (yaaaawn) but in a room with lots of other colour, wooden furniture and bold/patterned fabric, it can look good to keep the walls fairly unassuming. What about a neutral that isn't as stark as white? MAGNOLIA!!!!!!!

mazzystar · 02/06/2008 17:06

Line them with something gorge and try maybe a pale grey/lilac on the walls - we have Dulux Mellow Heathers in a pale pale shade and fabulously light reflective but calmin at the same time.

But I think black might, nonetheless, seem a bit like a cinema.

WonderingWhy · 02/06/2008 17:40

Some nice ideas, thanks

I've found out that the lady selling them can make any colour - which means more choosing!

there's a kind of oyster beigey grey/white colour, which I like but not sure if it would look right with black background fabric iyswim? Also she does aubergine, gold, or white.

I'm really stuck now!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.