My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Fab Chicken Curry recipe please help

22 replies

Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:10

I have Chicken Breast, onions, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, black pepper, smoked paprika.

What is a good recipe, I don't like to make a sauce then add the chicken cos the flavour doesnt permeate the chicken, don't have to have ready until 8pm so can marinate.

Also I am very very crap with rice, any tips!

OP posts:
Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:22

bump

OP posts:
mankymummy · 07/05/2008 17:25

have you any yoghurt?

rice tip... put in microwaveable bowl, put double the amount of boiling water in with it, stir.

Microwave for approx 6 mins (depending on microwave and amount you are cooking), then drain and rinse with cold water. Let it drain. You can prepare in advance so easy at the end.

Then just bung it back in the microwave for 2-3 mins until its hot. Fluffy rice everytime, never fails.

Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:28

no yoghurt I'm afraid, no fresh coriander either. Microwave is on the blink, new one coming on Monday so I will definitely try that tip! Thanks mankymummy

OP posts:
Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:28

I meant I'll try that tip on Monday!

OP posts:
mankymummy · 07/05/2008 17:29

tomatoes? even tinned?

i cant think of a curry sauce you could make without either yoghurt (or creme fraiche) or tinned toms !!!!

Mercy · 07/05/2008 17:31

Pablop, ime if you make a curry at least 2 hours before eating the flavour does permeate.

You don't need to marinade the chicken tbh (unless tandoori style)

Do you have any tinned tomatoes, or cream or coconut milk?

QuintessentialShadows · 07/05/2008 17:31

coconut milk?

Carmenere · 07/05/2008 17:31

Ok make a paste with the onions, garlic and spices, seal the chicken in a little hot oil, add the paste and some tomato paste and fry a little. Add some chicken stock and vegetables, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for at least 30 mins, stir in coconut milk or yoghurt at the end if you like.

Mercy · 07/05/2008 17:33

Carmenere is the expert, follow her advice!!

Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:38

thanks mankymummy, mercy and Carmenere

I have no tinned tomatos or coconut milk but do have cream, gonna go with Carmenere's recipe and add a bit of cream at end.

Just need help with the rice, I do not know why I can't cook rice, I'm a pretty good cook but rice just tastes 'fresh' when I do it, any tips for basmati?

OP posts:
Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:41

Quick question Camenere, would you use mustard seeds? I used these last time I made a curry and it was like being shot at with minature red hot balls!

OP posts:
mankymummy · 07/05/2008 17:42

is your microwave not working at all?

i've got an idea for fried rice if you fancy that....

Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:46

no new microwave that is not working, ordered it from Argos and they are replacing on Monday.

Whats your idea for fried rice?

OP posts:
mankymummy · 07/05/2008 17:48

well cook the rice on the hob like usual (test it to make sure its soft but not goo-ey. cool and drain like before.

then fry some onions, garlic (ginger if you have it), mushrooms if you have them...

make sure pan is very hot then add the cooled dry rice to the pan and stir through, fry for a few mins....

it works best if the rice is very dry so leave to drain for a while.

Pablop · 07/05/2008 17:55

sounds good, I'm going to try it, yes I have ginger & mushrooms. thanks mankymummy

OP posts:
Carmenere · 07/05/2008 17:59

I would add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds into the paste and I would add ginger to the paste too. And add the mushrooms after you have browned the chicken. It will be lovely with a swirl of cream at the end

Pablop · 08/05/2008 00:05

Thanks Carmenere, curry was delish, will make again

OP posts:
Carmenere · 08/05/2008 13:52

Great

2GIRLS · 08/05/2008 19:54

To cook Basmati rice, measure out how much dried rice you want in a cup put it in the saucepan, rinse the rice with a little cold water and drain.
Then add double the amount of water to the rice.
Bring the pan to the boil, just at the point of boil, turn the heat right down, cover adn simmer for 20 mins or so.
Don't stir the rice while cooking. And hopefully you should have perfect basmati rice!!!

2GIRLS · 08/05/2008 19:57

Meant to add that the reason you measure the rice in a cup is because how ever much rice you put in, you put water in the cup to that same line (twice), otherwise if you estimate it the rice goes funny.

2GIRLS · 08/05/2008 20:01

Don't rinse the rice once it's cooked!!
This is only for basmati rice, not long grain kinds.

I seem to be a bit OTT about rice, don't I

Mummy2Bookie · 04/02/2011 15:48

Don't over cook. That's criminal

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.