My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

mouldy washing machine

13 replies

madcol · 05/04/2008 22:04

My washing machine smells mouldy all the time. The rubber bit aroung the drum has lots of black mouldy stuff on it which I can't get off despite scrubbing.

Can I 'treat' this problem or do I need a new machine.?

OP posts:
chunkychips · 05/04/2008 23:04

I had this problem with ours, washing came out smelling mouldy, no mould on seal though. Anyway got a man in who charged me £50 to tell me I needed to put some calgon in with the washing powder! Try that one.

SlightlyMadSweet · 05/04/2008 23:07

Make sure you runa 60C wash at least once a month to prevent it.

I treated mine (drawer rather than door seal) by a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush/cotton buds - finishing it off with a steam cleaner to kill the mould.

A combination of the above seems to have delayed its return.

madcol · 05/04/2008 23:27

Thanks I'll try the hot wash and calgon. have already been scrubbing with the toothbrush without much success.

OP posts:
WendyWeber · 05/04/2008 23:44

smelly machine advice

A 90 degree empty wash advised (with a biological detergent in)

And leave the door open when machine is empty

YouCantTeuchThis · 05/04/2008 23:48

don't use liquid in the drawer.

Stinks for some reason. Balls in the drum are okay [oo-er!]

madcol · 05/04/2008 23:53

Thanks Wendyweber- very useful link. Feel a bit silly now. Why don't they teach you this stuff at school?

OP posts:
SlightlyMadSweet · 06/04/2008 09:17

I am v v sceptical about using a biological detergent at 90C. The biological agent would be killed at temps abov 40ish

Buda · 06/04/2008 09:20

White vinegar on a empty hot wash will clean it through too.

madcol · 06/04/2008 12:20

Where you do put the vinegar in the drawer or the tub?

OP posts:
Buda · 06/04/2008 13:33

In the drawer.

chocolatespiders · 06/04/2008 13:38

i use soda crystals on hot wash in empty machine

WanderingTrolley · 06/04/2008 13:44

I pull out the drawer and give it and the space it leaves a good squirt with an anti-mould bleachy spray, leave it for 5 mins, then scrub like billy-o before rinsing the drawer in the sink, and squirting water into the drawer space. I use a plant spray for the drawer - you can adjust the spray so that it whacks the back of the drawer with thin blasts of water at a higher pressure, so that the black bits are sent flying. Quite therapeutic (am easily pleased!)

Also second leaving door open to dry out inside.

I would try the bleachy spray on the rubber seal with caution though - it may corrode the rubber.

And Calgon is several times the price of a supermarket own brand of anti-limescale tablet.

peasholme · 06/04/2008 13:47

Lakeland plastics do a fab thing for cleaning smelly washers. It's £5.99 for two treatments and it completely rejuvenates mine. Have been using it every 4 or 5 months. Available here:here
It is brill. It is one of the few things I had to have sent to me when living overseas (along with Marmite and Yorkshire Tea)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.