My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

towels with no tumble drier

10 replies

julesrose · 01/04/2008 11:24

OK - so how can I get them soft and fluffy?

OP posts:
nickytwotimes · 01/04/2008 11:26

Hang them outside?
Sorry, silly mood today.

HeadFairy · 01/04/2008 11:30

Don't use fabric softener, put a cup of white vinegar in the machine during the rinse cycle when you wash them, makes them hotel fluffy!

julesrose · 01/04/2008 11:36

Really - white vinegar! I've got white wine vinegar - will that do? Or is there something just called white vinegar? Will they smell funny? Have you done this or is it a top tip from those mad how clean is your house ladies?
Nicky2x - no where to hang outside but they hang in airing cupboard that gets quite hot.

OP posts:
HeadFairy · 01/04/2008 12:19

no, it needs to be white vinegar. it is a kim and aggie top tip but the hotel trade have been doing it for years.

Feelingbetterslowly · 01/04/2008 12:20

Ooooooh, good tip!!!

julesrose · 01/04/2008 13:11

OK - before I try this has anyone actually done it? I work in telly and although not everything is a load of rubbish, just occasionally a fact slips through the net that is in fact bollocks...

OP posts:
hanaflower · 01/04/2008 13:16

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhYouBadBadKitten · 01/04/2008 13:27

I've found it works - hth?

shinyshoes · 01/04/2008 14:58

Stupid wquestion alert!!

What is white vinegar, is it the same thing pickled onions are kept in? I have a jar of them in the fridge. Can I use some of that?

HeadFairy · 01/04/2008 17:00

No white vinegar is completely clear, looks like water but obviously it isn't. It's specifically called white vinegar, and I don't think it's used for food at all, I used it to clean loads of things, it's great on windows too. I have used it to wash towels but not with my own... I used to work in hotels and part of my training was spending 6 months in housekeeping, learnt lots of great tricks. I must admit the towels were pretty huge and fluffy to start with but they were super soft when we laundered them ourselves using vinegar.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.