My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

cleaning a cream leather suite

7 replies

smartiejake · 22/01/2008 21:23

We have had a cream soft leather suite for about a year. I was using some moist cloths that came with it which were very good but now have run out and wondered whether to buy some more or if there is another cheaper alternative. It's rather grubby at the mo so would be grateful for some advice.

OP posts:
Olihan · 22/01/2008 21:29

My parents have a cream leather suite and were told to just use ordinary soap. Wet the bar of soap, rub it over then wipe off with a damp cloth. Theirs looks immaculate and it's 3 years old now.

magicfarawaytree · 22/01/2008 21:44

you can get a special list cleaner which cleans leather seats in halfords. we used in on cream leather seats and it did make a difference.

Branster · 22/01/2008 22:02

when we had a cream leather suite i used to clen it with baby wipes. if it's good enough for babies, sure is good for a dead cow! In fact I use baby wipes to clean painted skirting boards too.

smartiejake · 22/01/2008 22:09

Yes it always alarms me the things that baby wipes will clean- had considered using these but was concerned about damaging the leather- making it dry out etc.

OP posts:
nobodysfool · 22/01/2008 22:14

I also used baby wipes on our cream leather sofa.Every so often i would 'feed' the leather with a polish especially for leather sofas to prevent it from dying out and cracking-found this really cheep in local shoe menders.Always worked a treat!

Branster · 22/01/2008 22:18

Ingredients for Johnsons wipes:
Aqua (Water), Myristyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, PEG-20 Stearate, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tocopherol, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 77289

So it does have alcohol which can be drying. Hmm...
I ahve to say I did this job for about three years on a weekly basis and didn't notice any problems with drying. I usually buy the value range baby wipes form the supermarket for house cleaning but it should be similar ingredients.

As an alternative, most household ailes in supermarkets or places like wilkinson do sell leather cleaning wipes. A bit too expensive for the job though.

smartiejake · 23/01/2008 19:56

Just spent about an hour cleaning our 3 and 2 seaters with... baby wipes. They came up a treat! Thanks for all your advice guys!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.