My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Waspnests. Any experts available?

5 replies

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo · 13/11/2007 20:49

We have one in the loft. We haven't seen any wasps in the last 2 months. Does anyone have any suggestions to rid us of it.

My dad has suggested a bin bag tied around the top and knocking it off the rafter. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance, I probably won't return to this thread until tomorrow. Dh will appreciate any advice which prevents him getting injured.

OP posts:
Washersaurus · 13/11/2007 20:52

Wasps don't return to their nest once they have died out for the winter. We just left ours over winter and then went into the loft and smashed it up.

I think only the queen survives, so look out for her

Washersaurus · 13/11/2007 20:53

You could always give it a few blasts with a can of Raid before you go up there just to be on the safe side. (I think that is what DH did)

NoBiggy · 13/11/2007 20:56

Yes, the queen survives the winter.

We had to call a man out a couple of months ago, discovered the little buggers the day before roofers were due. Anyway, for a fee of £45 he came and dabbed some white stuff on the outside of the roof where they were flying in and out, and that did for them. Obviously some died in the water tank in the roof, because we found some bits of wing and body in the bath for a while afterwards

brightwell · 13/11/2007 22:23

I had a 2ft long wasp nest in the roof a couple of years ago. Part of the nest was embedded in a roll of carpet that was being stored in the loft. Me & dd broke it up & binned it.The smell was foul, and it took ages to clear it all up.

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo · 14/11/2007 20:51

I knew I could rely on MNetters for sensible advice

Thank you, one and all!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.