My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

New Kittens....Need Litter Tray Advice

6 replies

chinwag · 05/11/2007 10:26

We have reserved 2 kittens from the local Animal Sanctuary (Very excited), but I am a total novice. Anyone got any advice about how I clean the litter tray. Where do you dispose of used litter, what do you put it in? What do you clean it with, and do you do it in the kitchen sink or outside, or something else?

OP posts:
NutterlybloodandgUts · 05/11/2007 10:29

Scoop poop/wet patches daily, and then 2-weekly (roughly) change the whole litter. Tip into black bag and use the scooper to remove all the litter. Take outside and hose down, add a bit of fairy, scrub with old, designated brush, rinse and dry with kitchen paper, re-fill with litter.

Thats what we do, but there are various methods. I'm seriously considering a self cleaning catbox though!

chinwag · 05/11/2007 12:48

A self cleaning one sounds tempting!!

OP posts:
dandycandyjellybean · 05/11/2007 15:51

We have 2 adult cats who both grew up in a flat and so use a litter tray. I have the sort with the hood over (about a tenner from wilkos as this seriously keeps the smell/mess down). I keep a water spray bottle with a 1:10 ratio of tea tree oil and water, and, I echo nutterly, but in addition I use a wad of toilet paper (litter tray in bathroom) sprayed with this to wipe round the edges of the tray and the inside of the hood. This really helps 'deoderise'. hth. Never heard of self cleaning ones, where'dya get 'em?

chinwag · 05/11/2007 16:58

Not sure where they're from although I think they're available on line.

We have a 3 storey house, and I plan to have their bed, food and litter in a downstairs room, as our kitchen & living area is open plan on middle level. Do you think they will still use the litter tray down there?

OP posts:
chinwag · 05/11/2007 18:59

x

OP posts:
NutterlybloodandgUts · 05/11/2007 22:17

I think petplanet has em, but OMG @ the cost!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.