My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Blood & wee stains (sorry to lower the tone)

11 replies

TheOozingPusOfSepticQuench · 30/10/2007 15:39

So DD did a wee on the (carpetted) bathroom floor a few days ago. As it was the middle of the night, I gave it only the most perfunctory of cleanings and it now smells like a gents' urinal in there. Have tried zoflora & 1001 carpet shampoo, but still the stink remains.

And then yesterday the poor thing had a rather dramatic nosebleed over her white cotton jersey school top. Have just washed at 60 with oxy clean (evil white powder in yellow tub that you mix with water & rub in). That hasn't done much good either.

Any suggestions for either problem?

OP posts:
TheOozingPusOfSepticQuench · 30/10/2007 17:15

OP posts:
ScaryScienceT · 30/10/2007 17:18

Bathroom carpet? Ditch it!

totallyfreaky · 30/10/2007 17:37

Have you tried a but of bleach for the blood? To get rid of blood in the future, soak in very salty water.

traceukw1 · 30/10/2007 18:24

This may help you

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=60

TheOozingPusOfSepticQuench · 30/10/2007 21:30

ScaryScience - I know! Unfortunately we're in a rented house. Still, I used to live in one with with carpet in the kitchen... now that really is daft...

Someone on another thread suggested bicarbonate of soda to get rid of vomit smell from carpet. Does anyone know whether that would that work on wee?

OP posts:
EmsMum · 30/10/2007 21:34

I wonder if the Bob Martins clear liquid for removing odours after pet accidents would work on child wee? Worth a try I'd have thought - it seems to neutralise dog wee so that even their sensitive noses can't detect their 'mark'. Can't remember if you can get it in supermarket pet aisle or if you'd have to go to a pet shop.

Coolmama · 30/10/2007 21:42

fresh blood stains should always be washed in cold water - is the only thing that works as any heat sets the stain.
For the urine, sprinkle corn starch on the area and then spray with just enough water to dampen it. Leave to dry and then vacumn up. Don't know why, but apparently it works.

CoffeeCrazedMama · 30/10/2007 22:32

It has probably set by now but if you can get your hands on some White Wizard (Lakeland is only source I know) use that - I got most of a nosebleed (dd2 had run from her bedroom at front of house to bathroom at back with blood pouring through her loosely cupped fingers...) out of our upstairs hall carpet using WW, a day after Vanish carpet failed to get it out at first. It is like a paste in a pot - quite old fashioned looking but brilliant stuff.

Brangelina · 30/10/2007 22:43

Bicarbonate is perfect for wee, as is tonic water. We used to use both when our dog had accidents.

As for the blood, I second the salty water, or else pretreating with marseille soap and lots of elbow grease. Hanging it out in blazing sunshine also helps, but I realise that may not be an option right now.

Goodness, who'd have thought I'd be giving advice on a housekeeping thread, the slattern that I usually am.

sunnylabsmum · 02/11/2007 05:30

I've used lemon juice and cold water mixed together on wee stain on a mattress and it seems to work as the juice neutralizes the alkali I think

twinsetandpearls · 02/11/2007 05:37

To get blood out soak in cold salted water.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.