My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

FLYing - baby steps - day 14 - Tue

40 replies

CindersNeedsHelp · 08/10/2007 20:10

Mission
Reminder
Babystep

OP posts:
daisyandbabybootoo · 09/10/2007 18:37

just a quick post...i'm floundering a bit.

My house is like one of those puzzles where you have to re-arrange the squares to make a picture, except it's the clutter that is the blank square; it gets oushed aroung from one room to another and never really goes. Mind you we did sort out a paperwork mountain over the weekend and sorted out two bin bags for the charity shop and another of rubbish.

I've got some kind of stomach flu going on and have been feeling sick and fluey all day. My Ds has it too so he is a real misery guts. So, I've not really done anything except a load of washing today.

My sink is still quite shiney and my little DS has been helping me keep it that way. He even cleaned the bathroon sink for me earlier, bless him.

Am planning on an early night and then getting back on course tomorrow.

beautifuldays · 09/10/2007 19:52

hi, feel like i should keep posting, even if i'm not FLYing very much

dd is not sleeping so i am so tired i just can't find the energy/motivation to do the de-cluttering/cleaning etc. also how on earth do you ladies fit it all in? i am managing to shine sink and put out clothes in the evening, and dress to shoes and swish and swipe in the morning, but i'm struggling to fit in the 15mins declutter, mission, etc with a 3.5yr old and newly crawling 8 month old who doesn't nap

i know i should do a 5 min room rescue in our room when dh gets home from work but the bedroom is soooo messy i just don't know where to begin.

sorry for moaning on, will try and find a bit more motivation for tommorrow...

Bienchen · 09/10/2007 20:13

I really feel for anyone down with a bug currently - just do a bit and rejoin when you are up to it. Hope I am not disheartening you with a gloating report here.

I was lucky because I got a reasonable amount of sleep last night and DP got home early, so helped with kitchen worktops. We did one side only but as it is wood, we oiled as well. So everything is piled up on the other side which gets done tomorrow (DP day off!!!

Can't help with cat query as we have a dog.

Otherwise, pretty much everything done. Good night to you all...

bilblio · 09/10/2007 20:24

Hmm so much for getting back with it today.
This morning I got up, got dressed, got DD dressed, then went and had a shower and washed my hair. By that point I was shattered (still not recovered from all the driving I've done this week) so DD and I went back to bed for a couple of hours.
This afternoon was my last postnatal class, we do baby massage so DD was exhausted after it but would only sleep in my arms, then wouldn't settled at bedtime.

DP did make an effort at cleaning the kitchen and sweeping and mopping the floors while we were out. I'm not sure what he's done though becuase the floors are really sticky now and look very smeared.
Before bed I'm going to shine my sink and try to give the floors another quick go over... might do that while Bringing up Baby is on. I haven't watched it yet, I've been getting angry just reading about it and seeing the odd clip. I'm sure cleaning the floors will release some of the anger.

bilblio · 09/10/2007 20:49

SuperMonkey, we have 2 cats, we agreed to take them in temporarily as I wasn't a big fan of cats... that was 9 years ago. I love them to bits, and I'm glad I was persuaded to let them stay.

For the first few weeks that DD was around they were scared of her, they wouldn't come near me when I was holding her. Now they're used to her, they're still wary but we can all sit on the sofa together now. She did get a little scratch on her foot from one of them when she was about 2 weeks old, she was wrapped in a blanket on my lap wriggling her feet and the cat decided to "play". He got shouted at and we've had no problems since. I've learnt to be a bit more aware too. We've had the odd time when we've found one asleep on her play mat, or on a blanket, but that's our fault for not putting things away.

My brother also has 2 cats and a 14 month old, they've not had any problems either. My niece does like to pat them, and can get a bit rough, but the cats just wander off when they get fed up, she's not quick enough to catch them yet.

CindersNeedsHelp · 09/10/2007 20:56

Day 15 here

OP posts:
unknownrebelbang · 09/10/2007 21:04

Evening All.

ooh SM I would be so cross if anyone rang me at 5 am!

congrats SA, now you're official, lol.

Glad you had a good break biblio and mlr.

Know exactly what you mean about moving stuff from room to room Daisy, so far though, am finding the building of the routines really helping with this. Slowly but surely gaps are appearing, lol, although I can also see how easy it would be to fall out of the routine again. Sorry you're not feeling well.

CindersNeedsHelp · 09/10/2007 21:08

2 minute hot spot done
Sort dinner done
Wash-up and shine sink done
Pick out tomorrow?s clothes done

So far FLYing has helped me to get rid of three boxes to the charity store now, and I have, for the most part, a clear draining board with all washing up done and put away and a shiny sink

However Monday mission not done and Tuesday mission not done.

I?m still waiting for my gaps to appear. But to put a positive spin on things ? I have not failed in completing the full routine, I have succeeded in turning my kitchen around and made a good start on clearing my spare room.

OP posts:
mylastrolo · 09/10/2007 21:09

hi ladies,

glad to day has gone so well for you all.

all your 5 month olds feeling right broody lately !!! only because it is so not going to happen.

yesterday i did well so busy i never got chance to come on here.

Still haven't got into evening routine leaving clothes out. want to.

ok today
d/h home sick from work lie flat whilst waiting for scan and strong antibiotic to kick in. [fed up icon]

went to work by mistake today i know changed days but receptionist got days mixed up!!
so came straight home and
sorted out bedroom [incase of visitors to d/h]
s&s bathroom
changed girls beds accident last night
sorted spare room incase door flys open anyone would see state

hotspost downstairs briefly
set new birthday timer in kitchen works well.

still to do bin and surfaces mission
want to start control journel proper.
working tomorrow and next day so flying sort of stops when i work any tips?

CindersNeedsHelp · 09/10/2007 21:11

But I know what you all mean when you say you still struggle (especially now the routines are building up). It?s nice to know I?m not alone! My hot spots are still hot, my spare room (well ALL rooms actually) still need rescuing and I haven?t really tidied up any where!

When I was looking for inspirational phrases (none came to mind on the weekend, so I googled ?inspirational thoughts? ? am I the only sad one who did that?) and found

?He who has begun is half done? Horace
?A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step? Lao Tzu
and
?To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first? Shakespeare

They all help me to realize that I am not trying to become clean queen, just keep on top of things so I can spend time with my family.

Today we went on a play date and swimming, plus I got things done. I am pleased with myself. Even though I still haven?t done any of the Missions yet!

OP posts:
unknownrebelbang · 09/10/2007 21:13

Exercise bike and get ready
Reminders, routine and journal, etc
Read and then Delete emails
Make the bed (day 15) Bit difficult as DH was still in bed, having got in it at 5 am.

Mission - Well I managed half the worksurfaces. Am waiting on DS1 to finish tidying up the other half a bit before I do that bit.

Hot spot - As above - DS1 completing it as above.

Five min room rescue - DH and DS2 have flirted around the lounge, whilst I have, yet again, been sorting out more washing.

15 mins - erm, I'll spend 15 mins in the bedroom before I go to bed.

My personal 15 mins - MN will have to do tonight.

Shiny Sink
Clothes ready for me and uniform for all three lads ready for tomorrow, yay.

Hmm, seemed to spend longer getting the lads to do their jobs on the rota than they actually spent doing them tonight, but hey, they'll get used to it.

mylastrolo · 09/10/2007 21:22

you're doing well unknown and cinders quotes are good half way and all.

my problem is i relax with glass of wine when kids in bed d/h and i we are both guilty of chilling with a glass then it is hard to do anything.

I get so much more done when i don't have wine but bad night's sleep last night.

right off to make lunches and lay out uniforms
oh bought new pillows binned two with the declutter and bought new bath mat for sparkly bathroom

unknownrebelbang · 09/10/2007 21:29

Well, it's not going too bad, but DH is very good around the house, I just need to get him working to my routine, lol.

I still have a lot of clutter and I haven't yet got one room completely sorted.

funnypeculiar · 09/10/2007 22:32

Right - afternoons jobs:
15mins decluttering in kitchen (saucepan drawers & two general clutter drawers wiped down & reoganised)
Did mission

And dh asked me if anyone was coming round tomorrow as the kitchen looked so nice

Am also of the 5 mth olds.

mylastrolo · 09/10/2007 22:45

Please don't think i am thick but have just done my evening routine and shined sink
did lunches
put dishwasher on
emptied washing machine
uniforms ready
work clothes ready
shoes at door
book bags at door

only just dawned on me!!! how much in control i feel me i know .

Is that why is it called a control journel?

f/p i don't want a baby either it is just so final. ironic as my d/d would love a baby now too old, too tired, and not possible.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.