My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Repairing a washing machine is it worth it??

14 replies

peachygirl · 19/09/2007 22:19

My washing machine has been very noisy recently and tonight it started smoking.
Is it worth repairing or should we just give up on it

OP posts:
fingerwoman · 19/09/2007 22:20

i'd find out how much it'd cost to repair.
depends what's wrong with it really

bookthief · 19/09/2007 22:26

Ours stopped turning mid-cycle just after Christmas. Great, I thought, 8 week old baby so lots of washing, too skint to buy a new one but ££ for plumber's bill. It was only £40 to get it fixed so I was v pleasantly surprised!

glitterchick · 20/09/2007 13:01

How old is your machine?

chocchipcookie · 20/09/2007 13:56

If it's the motor and it's old I wouldn't bother repairing. I think a lot of the problem in the UK is hard water.

moonmother · 20/09/2007 14:05

My parent's washing machine went a few months ago,it was the power board that went,other than that the machine was in great condition.

They rang round all the local washing machine repairs places and none of them quoted under £80 for just the part,but after a bit of trawling around on the net we managed to get hold of a reconditioned part for them for £30,and it came with a 6 month guarantee.

If you know exactly what the problem is and your machine is a well known make then I would take a look and see if its worth repairing.

mamijacacalys · 20/09/2007 14:25

My Candy washing machine is almost 5 yrs old and cost £189 from the local Co-op. Old machine broke when DS was a small baby and DH literally went straight out to buy another, returning home with it in the back of the land rover within an hour.
DS is 5 and DD is 14 months so it works hard - average 1 or 2 loads a day. Have never had any probs with it and washes fine.
Was disillusioned with top of the range machines after MILs broke down within 2 years.
So would say it's not worth bothering with repairs as the cost would go a fair way towards a new cheapy machine.
HTH

NAB3 · 20/09/2007 14:28

For future reference we have an insurance policy which costs us £10 a month and covers 3 appliances. We have claimed on it twice already. The dishwasher part needed was no longer available so we were given a new machine plus a discount off for part exchanging the broken one. We also had the washer fixed on the ploicy even though it would have been less than £50 more of the cost of fixing to get a new one. Well worth the money. My D/W was on 4 times yesterday and my washer has already done 5 loads today.

TheMadHouse · 20/09/2007 14:33

we had to get a new washer this month , BUT the old one was 11 years old and was uneconomical to repair.

I used a local repair firm, who also sold washers adn they charged nothing for the visit, beat the best internet price we could get by a tenner and delivered and installed it free.

I have not yet paid for it, as they will invoice and even better offered us 6 months interest free. Oh yes and a 3 year warrenty

I am so please it is a direct drive LG and is virtually silent, takes an 8kg load and is fab.

sugar34plum · 20/09/2007 14:38

i have a dyson washing machine and its about 5 years now. but i also have an insurance repair programme with domestic and general. Its been fixed a number of times but its in use non stop! Costs me 90 a year for the insurance but mosts times its broke they have come out within 24 hours and repaired it and even been out same day! only been payig it for 3 years but its the best machine i have ever had and i love it want it to last forever.

Zazette · 20/09/2007 14:39

depends in part whether you care about the environmental impact of your actions - just chucking things that could be repaired obviously has worse environmental consequences than keeping viable stuff going

lailasmum · 20/09/2007 14:43

Fix it I reckon, there is nothing to say a new machine wouldn't break down really quickly. You may as well fix something that generally works well.

traceukw1 · 20/09/2007 19:27

Peachygirl what make and model is the machine?

yomellamoHelly · 20/09/2007 19:43

Depends on the make. Ours went very noisy and 10 days later the drum stopped moving. Agonised for a bit then decided the frugal thing to do was get it repaired to be told it was a write-off. We couldn't afford a Bosch so again went for the cheapest possible.

peachygirl · 20/09/2007 20:16

Its a hoover. and we have had it about 3 years. It's had a bit of a hammering recently as we moved houese and have a baby.
Sorry, I know all about the implications for the environment but Dh has gone and ordered a new one.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.