My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

There must be a solution. There really must. Otherwise we'll have to move house.

9 replies

NKF · 28/06/2007 15:04

Well, perhaps not quite that serious. But my daughter has just poured wax from a candle down the bathroom sink. And of course it's hardened and blocked it. What do I do? I tried pouring boiling water down the plughole and the sink filled up with hot water and floating bits of wax. Any thoughts? Plumber? Many thanks. I have to go out so if I don't get back to people,it's because I've checked into a hotel room. Only joking.

OP posts:
purpleturtle · 28/06/2007 15:08

You could try running the hot tap fairly slowly for a while. Wax doesn't melt especially quickly, does it, but over a period of time it might come away.

Wisteria · 28/06/2007 15:10

have visions of you taking off the pipe and trying to dislodge with a knife - that's what I'd be doing!

Oblomov · 28/06/2007 15:13

Isn't there a mr muscle type thing for this kind of thing ?

Oblomov · 28/06/2007 15:16

What about a prder - like a metal kekab stick - we have them for the bbq and they might be good.

littlelapin · 28/06/2007 15:17

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wishingfourgotone · 28/06/2007 15:19

scalding water if the wax floating fish it out!

EmilyDavidson · 28/06/2007 15:20

Oh gosh I wouldnt try to flush it with hot ,that might just push the blockage down to an inaccessible bit of pipework.

Look behind the sink ,there will be a little u-bend bit of pipe which unscrews (put a towl down in case of drips). Hopefully you will be able to see the wax and scratch it off with a blunt knife or a screw driver. Chuck the bits in the bin dont rinse them away!

stleger · 28/06/2007 15:37

Put a bucket under the screw off thing, as there might be water above the wax. Don't try to melt it and move it on or it will harden further along!

NKF · 29/06/2007 18:03

Tried all suggestions in turn and they worked. Thank you.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.