Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Best Steam Mop

15 replies

Florries · 28/11/2018 12:56

I'm hoping the brilliant people of MN could recommend the best Steam mop.

On a tight a budget so ideally don't want to spend over £80. Ideally £40ish is what we were thinking but I'd rather pay a bit more and have a product that works really well. So there is a bit of wiggle room.

Have large tile floor in kitchen and bathroom. Traditional mop and bucket isn't good enough. Floors still filthy and sticky.

Also have a baby (weaning is making more mess) a cat and a dog. Wet weather in making it even worse.

Would love one that killed 99.9% of bacteria as baby is starting to crawl.

Not bothered about any other functions other than the steam mop.

Please give me your recommendations. TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Florries · 28/11/2018 20:50

Hopeful bump

OP posts:
Please
or

Florries · 29/11/2018 09:07

OP posts:
Please
or

Florries · 29/11/2018 19:49

Again

OP posts:
Please
or

RetiredNotExpired · 30/11/2018 00:09

I wish I could be helpful. I bought this steam mop in June 2017, on the recommendation of a colleague who has 3 young daughters.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00INYLONC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?psc=1&ie=UTF8&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21
We were just about to move. New home has laminate floors in kitchen, hallway, bathroom and shower room - can't use steam on them. Ah well, I thought, can use it on cooker. Nope. I inherited a nearly new Stoves range cooker (which I hate, but that's another story) - can't use steam mop on that because it buggers up the enamel :(

So it's been used, briefly, twice. It's going to go on eBay soon. If you're interested, send me a message and I'll let you know when it does. I'll be asking £40 inc postage. Comes with a couple of the hard water filters.

Please
or

CharlesChickens · 30/11/2018 00:13

I have the same one as Retired, the Vax one. I like it but am now worried I should be using it on my cooker top !
Anyway it heats up really quickly and is very easy and efficient. I find the hand held part of it a bit more fiddly as occasionally I press it incorrectly and send steam spurting. It is great at shifting grime though.

Please
or

Florries · 30/11/2018 08:06

Thank you so much for your replies!!! Retired, thank you - I'll have a look into that mop a bit more hopefully this afternoon at the reviews and things.

Really appreciate your replies.

OP posts:
Please
or

CharlesChickens · 30/11/2018 09:16

I meant I’m worried I should NOT be using it on cooker, obvs. . I think the speed and easiness of mine is the biggest plus. You switch it on and it starts to steam almost immediately. So easy to swoosh over the kitchen floor. Great for dog mud.

Please
or

SummerGems · 30/11/2018 09:29

Honestly? I wouldn’t bother. I’ve tried various ones over the years and invariably they either aren’t very efficient, stop steaming after a couple of months or just really move the dirt around and create the illusion of a clean floor.

Have now gone back to just using a bucket of water. Use boiling water with detergent and disinfectant and you will achieve results....

Please
or

Florries · 30/11/2018 10:50

That's my worry, summer. I'm assuming you get what you pay for but I keep reading reviews of the mid range ones just moving the dirt about. Or giving up after a year or so.

Traditional mop just doesn't get used. It's such a faff for us and so we very rarely mop. Just hoover twice a week. I feel like having a steam mop that is as easy as a hoover would mean I'd do it regularly.

OP posts:
Please
or

LoniceraJaponica · 30/11/2018 10:52

I wouldn't bother either. It is more of a faff than getting on my hands and knees

Please
or

CharlesChickens · 30/11/2018 13:38

Spray mops are brilliant apparently. Less faff than a mop and bucket. I haven’t tried one, but might get one for the bathroom.

Please
or

Chasingsquirrels · 30/11/2018 15:48

I got one about 6 months ago (got a puppy a year ago).
I love it.
My kitchen/conservatory/utility are all one big tiled space that it used to take me ages to mop with replacing the dirty water etc. Takes me less than 10 to steam mop and it seems cleaner to me (although not the grouting as that's slightly dipped and is definately not cleaner).
Plus because it's quick I do it more often so it's cleaner for that reason as well.
I generally do the dirtiest bits twice, the 2nd time with a clean head so I'm not just pushing dirt around.
I have LVT in the hall & downstairs loo and I use it on that as well.

Please
or

Florries · 30/11/2018 20:13

Oh which mop do you have squirrels?

OP posts:
Please
or

melissasummerfield · 30/11/2018 20:17

I have the shark steam mop and really rate it! The heads are a lot thicker than other steam mops and i found it easier to wield. Hope this helps!

Please
or

Chasingsquirrels · 30/11/2018 21:22

Morphy Richards 720020 9-in-1 Steam Cleaner - White www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BW3VYA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_INAaCb4M2ZFVX?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 or the 12-in-1, I can't remember. I got 4 extra heads on eBay, not branded.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?