My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

WOT is that *stuff* inside your bath toys?!?!! Help me beat the gunk...

10 replies

loomer · 30/05/2007 22:07

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the nasty black gunky stuff (mould I guess?) that seems to have accumulated inside DD's bath toys? It's pretty rank, and can't be much good for enhancing the general hygiene of my bathroom.

OP posts:
FioFio · 30/05/2007 22:08

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate · 30/05/2007 22:08

Yep. Boiling water - biological washing powder, dissolve powder, pop in toys, leave for a few hours, rinse properly. Gunk gone.

Slubberdegullion · 30/05/2007 22:09

Dilute Milton fluid in sink. Fill up each squeezy toy. Leave all day. Squeeze and fill repeat like a gazzilion times with warm water until it's all gone.

Yes it is mould.

tortoiseSHELL · 30/05/2007 22:09

The black stuff - it's disgusting isn't it. Think it's mould. Or something equally grim. We bleach them every so often. Then throw them away!

sarahlou1uk · 30/05/2007 22:13

It's what I call old water. The bacteria in the hot water in the toys cools down (obviously!) between baths and what's left is this. Hot soapy water or Milton left for 30 mins usually does the trip as well as a good shake!

luckylady74 · 30/05/2007 22:14

it's mildew and mildew spray remover contains bleach so i guess you could try that, but i'd chuck them out and go for prevention rather than cure. i squeeze them out and put them in a bath net to dry off. i do throw a lot away and now go for solid toys [crocodile or sea creatures]and cups rather than the watering can/ squirter type things.

macmama73 · 30/05/2007 22:19

Yuck, I know what you mean. Just chucked out some rubber ducks last week. I wouldnt try to salvage them, mould is really not the kind of thing you want in the bathwater. I have heard that it can cause allergies and asthma.

CountTo10 · 30/05/2007 22:21

I had this and had a clear out. I now wash ds's bath toys through the washing machine once a month and that seems to do the trick!!

loomer · 30/05/2007 22:38

Yes I think you're right re. prevention. I'll chuck most of them, but she's rather emotionally attached to her rubber duck, having been taught by DH how to make farty noises with it. So it'll be a good dunk in Milton for that one I think.

OP posts:
bookwormmum · 30/05/2007 22:46

Yikes. My dd seems to have mostly solid plastic toys apart from her 'singing dolphins' (which don't) so I seem to escaped this particular delight.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.