My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Finally won in the battle with the ants, and now I've found carpet moths

12 replies

MuffinMclay · 23/05/2007 14:03

And they've eaten away a chunk of the carpet, and some of the skirting board (or is that coincidence and we've got some other infestation too). I've been hoovering like crazy in the area, but is there anything else I can do? Wil they keep coming back.

Is there anything pet and baby friendly I can spray on?

OP posts:
Muminfife · 23/05/2007 14:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Muminfife · 23/05/2007 14:59

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

MrsSpoon · 23/05/2007 15:02

Blimey, I'll keep my ants if carpet moths is what you get instead.

actually I've not got any carpets so that may deter them<

Can't help with the old moths but are you willing to reveal how you got rid of the ants?

MuffinMclay · 23/05/2007 16:49

Mrs Spoon - lots of boiling water on the epicentre of ant activity (2 crevices outside my kitchen where bricks meet the ground and under one plant pot), then cloves shoved in all the tiny holes where ants were getting into the kitchen inside (thanks to a top tip from lots of MNers).

The carpet will have to go at some point soon anyway (ruined already by child, dog and too much red wine). I want to prevent them spreading elsewhere though.

OP posts:
MrsSpoon · 23/05/2007 20:45

Ah, I don't know where mine are coming from that's the problem. I have recently bought a bay tree for the front and have bay planted at the back, as I read somewhere they don't like bay leaves, hopefully get some success with that but if I find where the blighters are coming from I'll stuff them with cloves too!

Hope you get the moths sorted!

MuffinMclay · 23/05/2007 21:42

Took me a week to find the source of my ants. Mine seemed to be most active early in the morning or in the evening, so it might be worth hunting around then. They were nowhere near the bits of the kitchen I was spotting them in though.

OP posts:
whomovedmychocolate · 23/05/2007 21:45

Tea tree oil and lavender oil mixed in a bottle of water and sprayed over the carpet will see off the little buggers. They ate my FUCKING CHANEL SUIT last year. I used some herbal sachets from Lakeland and that worked, as does cedar, but the spray thing smells so nice and doubles as ironing spray so I'd try that if I were you.

MuffinMclay · 24/05/2007 09:42

I'll try that. Stupid question time - where do you buy such items?

OP posts:
whomovedmychocolate · 24/05/2007 14:49

Lavendar and tea tree/cedar oil - Sainsburys or any decent pharmacist. The latter will be much cheaper.

MuffinMclay · 24/05/2007 16:31

I'll try Waitrose and Boots tomorrow. Don't know of any decent pharmacies near here. Thanks for that.

OP posts:
whomovedmychocolate · 24/05/2007 17:43

Boots will definitely be able to help you on that score!

MuffinMclay · 26/05/2007 10:12

I've been spraying water plus oils at frequent intervals, backed up with lots of hoovering, and numbers seem to be much reduced. I'm wondering though if they'll just relocate to somewhere else. I'd rather they ate the carpet that is already ruined than started eating through all our clothes.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.