My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

How do you store receipts?

21 replies

Pannacotta · 01/05/2007 22:20

Bit mundane I know, but having cleared out the study, have realised I have receipts stored in about 5 different places, A4 files, drawers, clear folders, etc etc.
Any ideas for a better system?

OP posts:
gothicmama · 01/05/2007 22:38

sort out which ones you need to keep and then have three file system those you need to keep long term current ones and ones you keep for a couple of months

themoon66 · 01/05/2007 22:39

Haphazardly, and always manage to lose the very ones I need later.

Pannacotta · 01/05/2007 22:40

mmm, me too of the haphazard school, start off with good intentions and then just forget to file them or I lose them....

OP posts:
marthamoo · 01/05/2007 22:40

I shove them all in a metal cash box and sort them out when I can't shut the lid any more (and important ones - ie., big purchases, with warranties, get put in a file in the filing cabinet).

MrsSpoon · 01/05/2007 22:43

Wodged in my purse until I can't close it anymore and then mostly chucked (much to my accountant DH's horror I don't reconcile my bank statement), receipts for items of clothing are usually retrieved out of this bundle and either put back in my purse or in a drawer until then item has had a few wears and then I chuck the receipt. Anything important is usually dealt with by DH who has a fairly good alphabetical filing.

SimplySparkling · 01/05/2007 22:43

I've not sussed this yet, either. I started to have them in polypocket according to the name of the shop but they got very fat and cumbersome. Atm, I have about 4 clear flies/polypockets with receipts waiting to be ticked off. There must be about 6 mths worth there. I will watch this thread to see all the ideas that are suggested and put one into action asap.

AllBuggiedOut · 01/05/2007 22:49

Chronologically, in plastic photo boxes which have 3 internal dividers. Each box does a year. So I empty them from my purse, weed out the ones I want to keep and pile the rest in the box. It takes a bit of searching to find any that I need, but I still reckon I spend far less time this way than a complex filing system in the first place.

And "significant purchases" (eg washing machine) have a separate A4 folder.

chocolattegirl · 01/05/2007 22:59

Crammed into my handbag and stopping my purse from closing properly .

I still have used stubs from the Munich metro in my purse (dating from March) much to my dp's disgust. Be a few more next week.

QueenofBleach · 01/05/2007 23:09

Montgly in a big brown envelope an then in a big plastic box

Pannacotta · 03/05/2007 11:19

chronologically makes sense, if I could be sure I would actually take them out of my bulging purse and file them!
Anyone else got an easy system which works?

OP posts:
BibiThree · 03/05/2007 11:21

We keep the big purchase ones stapled to the inside of the manual/instructions, the rest get shredded monthly.

Should I be keeping them longer?

ilovebob · 03/05/2007 11:23

Should you store all your receipts? Oh I had no idea... Now I feel silly. And just to make me feel even sillier, can someone tell me why would you do that? I mean, it makes sense like someone said with big stuff that has warranties, but do you keep all your grocery shopping receipts and stuff too? Sorry for being a muppet, but I'm intrigued now. Like there's not enough mess in my flat without adding receipts, but there we are...

Nbg · 03/05/2007 11:24

We have them all in a file in a filing cabinet.
Very boring.

Tigana · 03/05/2007 11:26

receipts for purchases like fridge/TV - things that may need returning if they break, I keep with the user manual things in a box file down the side of a sideboard in the dining room.
DH keeps his expense receipts for tax purposes all over the frikking place, then asks me where i have put them...
Also store sainsbury's etc receipt in my wallet for no goo dreason until it gets to bulgy and I throw them out!

Pannacotta · 03/05/2007 12:06

Don't keep grocery receipts etc but do keep clothes/shoes/luggage/toys receipts etc, partly as my DH thought his weekend bag had been stolen once (it hadnt in the end) and the insurance compnay wanted receipts for the luggage plus contents...
Also I like to keep clothes/shoes receipts in case of any probs down the line - not cheap H&M things but more expensive clothes etc

OP posts:
Lilymaid · 03/05/2007 12:19

I keep all credit & debit card receipts for a year in envelopes for each month. I can then shred the contents of the envelope after a year. Anything involving a guarantee I keep in a separate file.

JackieNo · 03/05/2007 12:22

You're all very organised. We keep the ones for big purchases with the guarantee/instructions etc, but for others we just have a big box and chuck the receipts in, and then 6 months later, when the box is overflowing, we say 'Oh ffs, why are we keeping all these' and shred the lot.

It's a system

ilovebob · 03/05/2007 14:41

Jackie I love your system and I think I'm going to adopt it

PenelopePitstops · 03/05/2007 14:50

keep ones on barcalycard etc stapeled to the bill - keep in purse until this point, bill kept in lever arch file along with all other bills

mundane ones like 2p in tesco throw away if ur sure food is ok

ones for big purchases n guarantees usually have a bill too, staple again

the rest are obv shite throw them away or clear plastic wallet in file

KTeePee · 04/05/2007 17:10

I should show this thread to dh - he thinks I am mad to keep receipts for even a month! I keep ones for things that might need returning but shred ones for groceries, petrol, etc every so often - but I put nearly everything on my credit card so would need a seperate room to store the receipts if I kept them any longer!

jodee · 15/05/2007 21:42

Aha! I just knew there would be a thread about this, I'm sick of my bulging purse full of receipts! Will get envelopes for each month and shove em in there now.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.