My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Natural cleaning tips...

12 replies

PregnantGrrrl · 27/04/2007 11:40

Have tried lemon juice in warm water to clean the bathroom- blooming marvellous and smells lovely.

Any other natural cleaning products or tips ladies?

Am in drastic need of a Spring clean, with minimal chemicals possible.

OP posts:
casbie · 27/04/2007 11:55

add salt to your half-cut lemon, then you have a natural whitener and anti-bacterial...

use vinegar to clean greasy spots and make metal taps shine and windows shine...

washing up liquid cleans most things!

casbie · 27/04/2007 11:55

lemon/salt thingy is also an abrasive!

PregnantGrrrl · 27/04/2007 11:56

salt thing sounds like it'll sort out my work surfaces. Ta!

OP posts:
tomps · 27/04/2007 11:57

dri pak is useful, also this one also and on the channel 4 website aggy and wotsit "how clean is your home" bit they have some tips, not all green. You could do a search on mumsnet, I've seen other posts about this.

JackieNo · 27/04/2007 12:01

I've got some threads that I've saved on this:

This one , also this and this . HTH.

jomist · 27/04/2007 12:01

Alternative to polish - 3/4 olive oil, 1/4 lemon juice. Works brilliantly

jomist · 27/04/2007 12:03

Descale kettle by boiling equal amounts white vinegar/water. Only fill kettle third full, boil and bob's your uncle! House will stink for a bit though.

PregnantGrrrl · 27/04/2007 12:14

thanks for these links.

i'm finding it hard to let go of using bleach in the loo though- will try to not buy anymore

adding bicarb to my green-clean-shopping-list.

OP posts:
willywonka · 27/04/2007 12:17

Only discovered the joys of bicarb myself last Friday - it's a bloody marvel!!!! Received a beautiful cabinet from freecycle but it had been in a kitchen so the top was covered with the usual kitchen grease. Spent an hour trying all sorts of stuff, including my steam cleaner, but all just seemed to be smearing the grease about. Decided to look up some traditional/non-chemical methods on the net and saw "bicarb on a damp sponge". Ten minutes later, the cabinet was spotless and I was one happy wonka

casbie · 27/04/2007 13:20

bi-carb is great for cleaning out fridges and dustbins as it getss rid of odours...

: )

pudding77 · 27/04/2007 14:03

do you mix the bicarb with water or just tip some onto your cloth? And is it eco-friendly

Been trying to find different ways of cleaning up without using chemicals or wasting packaging!

casbie · 27/04/2007 14:26

just shake and wipe with damp cloth...

or as in case with bins - clean with washing-up liquid and shake and leave bi-carb before put bin-liner in. soaks up escaping dribbles - yuerch - and gets rid of smells.

if you have serious problems with smells in compost/bin try bocashi which is supposed to get rid of smells and deter rats!!

www.wiggly-wigglers.co.uk

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.