My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Mice in garage...WTF do I do?

13 replies

MrsGumby · 23/03/2007 21:27

Saw a mouse running down our drive the other night and stepson found one in a sports bag in the garage last week. Ordered DH to clear out garage and no obvious signs of rodent life but I think they may have built a little nest under the garage floor. DH bought a couple of humane mousetraps (you put chocolate in as bait - DS carefully chose Cadbury's Fruit 'n' Nut) but the clever little bastards just nicked the chocolate and scarpered without trap door shutting on them. So they're a waste of fecking money. Don't really like the idea of killing them but we've got a freezer in the garage and I don't think the kids would appreciate Southern Fried mice. Also, the thought of them gnawing their way into the house makes me feel queasy. I'd move to a Travelodge if that happened.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Are there any other humane ways to get rid of mice or is death the only option?

OP posts:
monkeytrousers · 23/03/2007 21:30

Get a cat and tread carefully when coming down stairs in the moring - especially when it's still dark!

CadburyCremeSquonk · 23/03/2007 21:32

here is a humane mouse trap. No dead mice, no poison - have heard it works but have never used one myself.

MrsGumby · 23/03/2007 21:34

Oh Jesus, MonkeyT, that really helps.... From now on I am not going to venture downstairs. I am officially bedbound. Do you get benefits for mouseyphobia?

OP posts:
beansprout · 23/03/2007 21:40

That's all great if you want to mess about catching the odd mouse. If you have a nest of them (and there is never only one lone, rogue mouse) you need to get rid of the lot.

We had them recently, and yep, I am veggie etc but the thought of ds catching some nasty mouse lurgy (from them weeing everywhere) or god forbid, one being in his cot, meant I just called out the Council. Mr Mouse Man came and left bait. You don't have mouse corpses. They go back to their nest and you are not left with that particular problem.

We had them for 3 weeks and it drove me half mad. I just wanted rid.

Pannacotta · 23/03/2007 21:45

I too am veggie and couldnt kill them so would persist with the humane traps, have used them before (used Jordans crunch type bar) and it worked.
Am a bit hippy buddhist like that, ie don't like killing living things even pests...

monkeytrousers · 23/03/2007 21:50

We are veggies too - next doors cat wasn't and we had an unlockable catflap from the previous owners. Not nice but I did save a couple. I didn't mind them really, and they seemed to prefer the garage to the noisy house

MrsGumby · 23/03/2007 21:55

Beansprout, may consider contacting the council for similar hygiene reasons that you outlined. But deep down there's a little soft fluffy part of me that hates the thought of a little mouse (like Jerry, or Stuart Little) shuffling down into his nest to die. I must be getting old.

OP posts:
monkeytrousers · 23/03/2007 21:56

Oh, can't you just keep them?

MrsGumby · 23/03/2007 21:58
OP posts:
monkeytrousers · 23/03/2007 22:07

I'll join you

DrunkenSailor · 23/03/2007 22:09

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

MrsGumby · 23/03/2007 22:10

Quite a nice bottle of SW France chardonnay tonight but to be honest I only bought it because it was 13.5% alcohol. How sad is that? It's been a hard week (that's my excuse anyway).

OP posts:
Pannacotta · 23/03/2007 22:18

Drunkensailor you're not alone. I wouldn't worry either, mice have never bothered me - have only caught and released them to save them from certain death at the hands of our two mogs...
I can't see them doing much harm in the garage, esp if nothing edible/perishable is kept in there, which will prob encourage them to go anyway...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.