Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

cleaning rusty metal shelves

8 replies

wannabetennisplayer · 25/10/2015 17:26

I've got some metal shelves in the bathroom which at one point had some hair/bath lotions/gel type stuff leak all over them (which I didn't notice for a while and was well and truly welded to the surface by the time I did) - plus they have got quite rusty in places. At various points, I've made attempts to get these shelves nice and clean. However, while I've got lots of gunk off, they have never looked clean - although I think at this point that all the stains that are still on there are now just rust markings.

Having found a tip online, I've been trying using coca cola and aluminium foil to clean the shelves and, with a lot of elbow grease it is definitely making a difference - but I'm still on the first shelf, it is nowhere near fully rust free and my arm is about to fall off I feel like I could be here forever trying to get the shelves clean/rust-free.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything you can recommend that shifts the rust more easily?

2. Is rust actually dirty/damaging to fabrics? (I'm planning to store clean bath towels on the shelves). I'm not bothered about the shelves looking pristine (that would be incongrous with the rest of the bathroom!) but I don't want to store towels on a dirty shelf.
OP posts:
Please
or

wowfudge · 25/10/2015 18:09

Are they chrome finished? Chances are the rust will just come back because it's a damp environment, especially as it sounds as though the chrome plating is wearing off. I'd cut my losses (and save time) and just replace them.

Please
or

wannabetennisplayer · 25/10/2015 21:37

Yes, they are chrome. As they are clearly intended for bathroom use, it seems daft that they don't stand up well to a damp environment!

OP posts:
Please
or

hookiewookiedoodah · 25/10/2015 22:25

I have chrome shelving and the rust drives me mad! I use an old exfoliating glove or a metal pan scourer to clean the rust off with.

Please
or

hookiewookiedoodah · 25/10/2015 22:26

and the rust will stain if it gets wet.

Please
or

wowfudge · 25/10/2015 23:11

We had a value chrome towel from M&S and it rusted where I accidentally got some cleaning stuff on it that reacted with it. When we replaced it, I bought one with a 10yr guarantee and I just use a damp e-cloth to clean it. It might be something you've used when cleaning that has affected the chrome plating.

Please
or

zzzzz · 25/10/2015 23:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Bimblywibble · 26/10/2015 14:26

Would you consider painting it? Hammerite sells special paint designed for covering rust. It seals it in completely. I've only bought it in metallic colours, I don't know if they do others. Buy from DIY stores.

Please
or

wannabetennisplayer · 26/10/2015 21:57

Thanks for the suggestions Smile

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?