My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Can you tumble dry grobags?

14 replies

fizzbuzz · 03/11/2006 12:50

Bought mine from Mothercare, it says on label do not tumble dry. But how can you get them to puff up again if you dry them over a radiator? You can usually tumble dry coats with wadding in, or does it affect tog rating? any advice?

OP posts:
WigWamBam · 03/11/2006 13:04

I guess it's because sometimes tumble-drying can distort wadding - it can make it twist or bunch up, and it can pull the wadding out from the stitching so you get patches with no wadding.

If you decide to risk it, do it on the coolest possible setting, and for the shortest possible time. I would be tempted to dry it on an airer first, and just finish it off in the tumble-dryer for a few minutes to soften it up.

fizzbuzz · 03/11/2006 13:24

Have just phoned friend who bought her growbags from Mamas and Papas, and THEY can be tumble dried apparently. Why? Is this some giant conspiracy by high street retailers? Am now even more confused than before!.....

OP posts:
fizzbuzz · 03/11/2006 13:24

Have just phoned friend who bought her growbags from Mamas and Papas, and THEY can be tumble dried apparently. Why? Is this some giant conspiracy by high street retailers? Am now even more confused than before!.....

OP posts:
nailpolish · 03/11/2006 13:25

i think its because it makes the zip burning hot and could therefore burn baby if you put grobag immediately on baby

??

Twiglett · 03/11/2006 13:26

you can tumble original grobags

fizzbuzz · 03/11/2006 13:33

....more confused than ever....

OP posts:
dizzymeg · 03/11/2006 14:58

I tumble mine from M&P's. Everything gets tumbled and if it doesn't come out well, it goes in bin and doesn't get replaced with same again !!
Same goes for washing.... if it can't be machine washed, it doesn't get bought !!!!!
Anything for an easy life

fizzbuzz · 03/11/2006 15:26

Well, will try tumbling it then. Have to say, used to work in rag trade, and KNOW that very few items get tested on washcare properly, because it is cheaper to just run one test. So probably it will be ok, cannot see why it would be different to any other. Now you know why practically everything you buy says 40C wash, gentle spin. Suprised at Mothercare though.

OP posts:
MadamePlatypus · 03/11/2006 19:29

Many a time have we realised that the grobag is in the wash at 5pm and been hurriedly tumble drying it before DS's bedtime. Never had any problems. I think we even tumbledried a mothercare sleeping bag.

earlysbird · 03/11/2006 19:48

I have tumble dried M&P, Jojo and original grobags (but not mothercare, sorry, can't imagine they're that different!) without problems - use the low heat setting and do the zip up before you put it in to retain shape, then make sure it cools down before you use it

clairemow · 03/11/2006 20:04

I tumble dry anything that's 100% cotton, even if it says not to on the label. I have tumbledried original grobags lots of times. so far, fine, and they're on their second child now.

pippah · 03/11/2006 20:19

I don't think I ever check the wash labels on anything!! My Grobags, JoJo and current Mothercare ones all seem to be ok. And I do 'em on high...

Rach32 · 05/11/2006 19:43

I tumble dried both grobags I had for my son even though both said "do not tumble dry" without any problems. To be honest I think its more to do with the fact you could sue the retailer if you put it on the baby when the zip's hot.

worcestercaroline · 05/11/2006 20:21

yes, but as long as baby is not still in it!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.