My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Those of you on water meters... a question.

15 replies

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 11:19

I have recently moved to a new house which is on a water meter (Anglian Water). My bill has just arrived after three months of living here and it is a whopping £127

My previous bills at the old house were about £55 for 6 months, but we were on agricultural rates there.

I honestly didn't think the bill could be that much worse and wonder if we have a leaky pipe or something. Or, do other MN-ers know differently? Is £127 normal for a family of three for three months?

Oh, and I haven't washed a car or watered the garden at all... not once.

OP posts:
charliebat · 12/10/2006 11:21

Well 2 adults and 2 children here 1 or 2 baths a day, no shower, a dishwasher, once a day and my bill is about £60-70 for 6 months.

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 11:24

Right... am gonna get them to come and check for leaky pipes. Unless Anglian Water are just mega expensive.

OP posts:
charliebat · 12/10/2006 11:28

It should be cheaper. i think. if they dont find a leak they charge you.
Is everyone trained in switching off the tap when teethbrushing? No rinsing plates under running tap etc. Do you have a hippo bag in your loo?

dislexicicecream · 12/10/2006 11:35

I LIVE ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT, THE water bills hear r about that much to,
have u checked the bill? is it a mesuerd charge or estamate? if it is estamite they may be asking u for it in advance, like a year b4 type thing,
if not might be worth calling them and making sure they havent charged u some for the people who lived there b4, if the meter wasnt re set properly.

charliebat · 12/10/2006 11:39

Just got mine throught the door after writing this...weird!!!!!!!!! £73.95.

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 11:47

Apparently I used 45 square metres in 3 months. I cannot compare it with the old house, as the farm we bought water off there used to bill me in Units, not metres, so I cannot compare like with like. IYSWIM.

We have showers, not baths, I have never once washed the car or watered the garden, I do one load of laundry a day, the toilets seem to have less water coz they never damn-welll flush properly and I use the dishwasher about once a day.

OP posts:
themoon666 · 12/10/2006 11:48

Oh, and it's a brand new house, so nobody was living there before us. And the meter is in the driveway, so they don't have to estimate.

OP posts:
ScreamandYellowFeathers · 12/10/2006 11:49

Hmmmm

we paid atb the very most £70 for a quarter, family of 3.
£127 does seem an awful lot.

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 12:42

Just spoken to a colleague here at work. She reckons to pay approx £40 a month and there are only two in her house.

Looks like it's Anglian Water being bloody expensive then.

OP posts:
indignatio · 12/10/2006 12:50

what is the rate per cubic meter ?
Here it has been 69.46 and 74.41 over the last 6 months - bill arrived today. South east water
Also on bill is half the charge for waste water and sewerage - Is yours also included ?

dislexicicecream · 12/10/2006 12:52

i wached a thing on the news in the summer about saving water,they went to this averege familly of 4s house and they mesuerd everything they used for 2 weeks i cant rember exactly how much they used but i know it was very shocking, and was just normal things like making cups of tea, washing clothes , flushing tolet , showers, rinceing the dishes,brushing teeth ect...they wernt watering garden or anything (hose pipe ban)
at the end of the 2 weeks they toled them they had had used enough water to fill 2 olimpic sized swimming pools!
oh and i have to ask this, is it relly ment to save water having showers insted of baths? i often hear this, but one time i had shower and put plug in bath, half way through i had to let the water out, (maybe i just take to long in the shower?)

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 12:58

Not got the bill with me... but the cubic metre price was something just over a quid. One pound four pence i think. And, yes, the sewage charge and standing charge are in the total of £127.

OP posts:
charliebat · 12/10/2006 13:03

ahhh. My sewage bill is seperate and in the region of 60-70 quid so it would work out the same sort of price, but mines for 6 months not 3.

themoon666 · 12/10/2006 13:04

Ahhh the penny drops...... I'll stop whingeing and feeling got-at now.

OP posts:
charliebat · 12/10/2006 13:13

yours is still double mine for the same period though...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.