My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Hotwater on Timer?

7 replies

MumOfMadTwo · 05/09/2006 20:57

Sorry if this is a bit dull. Can anyone tell me how often they have their hotwater on timer each day. I have mine on constant at the mo and with the soaring gas prices I probably need to sort it out. We are a family of 4, power shower, washing machine on twice a day at least. Many thanks.

OP posts:
Indith · 05/09/2006 21:06

Blimy! I lived in a house of 5, all of us girlies 2 years ago (been abroad since then, ah the joys of constant centralised Russian hot water!) power shower, many loads of washing and the odd bath not to mention fussy whatasits who insisted on doing all their washing up under a running tap and we had the water on timer for an hour each morning, if someone wanted a bath or something in the evening and we had run out then we just boosted it for 15 min.

LIZS · 05/09/2006 21:11

Max 2 hours am and pm. WM is cold fill only (you can do this by adding a Y tube to the WM inlets and only hooking up to the cold pipe).

MumOfMadTwo · 05/09/2006 21:19

Thanks for that both of you, will adjust the control now!

OP posts:
Skribble · 10/09/2006 22:32

I had mine all the time as I thought the thermosate would ensure it only kicked in when required but it gurgled and farted all the time, now one hour twice a day seems plenty as shower is seperate and use a dishwasher so only realy for handwashing. Probably could reduce that time.

CountTo10 · 10/09/2006 22:40

See I've kept mine all the time as we have econ 7 and I'd been told it was more expensive to keep putting it off and on. Hmm perhaps need to review this.

portonovo · 12/09/2006 10:56

From about May-October, when we don't have the central heating on, we heat the water for just 20 mins a day. We shower most days, but on the 1-2 days a week when we have baths, we boost the water heating by another hour per day.

In the winter when we have the central heating on too sometimes, the whole system is working harder so we find we need to boost the water heating to about 1 hour a day, again a bit more on bath days.

sorkycake · 12/09/2006 11:07

My gas bill has soared to 48 quid a month by DD, and that was the cheapest I could get for our usage.
For the last 3 months we've turned the timer off completely and have just put the water on for a bath 1 hour before bathtime. My bill came in yesterday for the quarter at 44 quid. I'm sticking with the new way and everyone can wear thick jumpers in the winter!
My timer used to be on for 2 hours am, same on evening for hot water only.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.