My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

removing polish from a varnished table

7 replies

MommyUpNorth · 14/08/2006 07:35

Hoping someone can help with this. Our old cleaner had been polishing our dining room table with Pledge and it has left some terrible greasy marks which are very noticable in the light. Is there any way to strip this back somehow? It's not a very expensive table, just a varnished pine. I've tried some bio washing powder in hot water as a friend recommended to me, but it's only shifted a bit. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

OP posts:
MatNanPlus · 14/08/2006 18:11

"To remove furniture polish build-up on your furniture, mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar. Moisten a soft cloth with the mixture and wipe furniture clean."

Found this, HIH

southeastastra · 14/08/2006 18:14

our pine table has had it, i'm going to sand all the old varnish off and reapply it. when i can be a*sed

twocatsonthebarricades · 14/08/2006 18:21

Aaargh yes, we had exactly the same thing happen, and I am ashamed to say that I had a full pregnancy hormone paddy about it. It's the silicone in it that makes it so horrid.

The advice we got - by, amongst other things, ringing Pledge - is to wash it down as far as you can with soap and water. Then you can just re-wax the table, which does take the edge off it.

But the best stuff I think, is by Colron, it's called something like wax and finish remover. If you apply it gently with a cloth, it will take all of the old layers of wax off and leave the varnish. Then just re-wax it with some nice beeswax polish and all will be well. You get it from B&Q.

this is the stuff but just ignore all of their talk of wire wool and just use kitchen towel for what you need to do...

southeastastra · 14/08/2006 18:45

i think i went wrong with the wire wool

MommyUpNorth · 15/08/2006 08:01

Thank you so much everyone. I'll start with the vinegar mix as I've got it here, and if that doesn't do it, then I'll try the Colron stuff.

OP posts:
MatNanPlus · 15/08/2006 16:35

Did the vinegar work, MummyUpNorth?

MommyUpNorth · 16/08/2006 12:01

Tried the vinegar this morning, and sadly it didn't work. I will try and get hold of the other stuff recommendend.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.