Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Steam mop and laminate floor. Is this a bad idea?

Lookslikerain · 18/02/2013 07:35

I have a steam mop and a lovely new wood laminate floor. I've searched the talk archive and googled but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Is it safe to steam mop my laminate floor?

The only things I can find online say you can steam mop as long as it's a sealed laminate floor. How do I know if my laminate is sealed?

Need a definitive answer please! I hate that whole mop, bucket thing. Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

nellyjelly · 18/02/2013 07:42

Don't think you can tbh. If is is sealed with varnish you may do. Can you check with laminate manufacturer? Water and laminate don't really go together. May cause warping over time, or so I am told

Please
or

DancingInTheMoonlight · 18/02/2013 07:46

No the joints will blow

Please
or

UnrequitedSkink · 18/02/2013 07:49

I'm not sure tbh, but I have laminate floor and hate mopping. I have now got an eco mop and it's bloody brilliant! The mop head bit is flat and you take off the cloth, wet it, wring it out with your hands and then stick it back on to the mop (velcro) It sort of gathers up all the dirt and dust, a day then I usually just pick up the little pile of muck with a piece of kitchen roll and bin it. Takes me about 5 minutes to do the whole ground floor, and I maybe rinse the cloth out in the sink once. No chemicals required, just water, it's Brilliant I tell you! Sorry that's not much help, but might be worth thinking about replacing the steam one!

Please
or

Alibabaandthe40nappies · 18/02/2013 07:51

No you will wreck the floor.

Please
or

KnittedCharacter · 18/02/2013 07:56

i have used a steam mop on my laminate floor and my floor is fine.

Please
or

Lookslikerain · 18/02/2013 07:57

Okay, so if my steam mop is out, and laminate isn't keen on water, then how should I be cleaning this floor? Confused Is it the heat, the water or both that's the problem? I have 2 messy DC so floor needs cleaning regularly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

nellyjelly · 18/02/2013 08:05

I use an eco cloth stuck on a mop. In fact I should buy an eco map! I sweep, suck up the dust with a dust buster every day so it is pretty dust free anyway. I then run the cloth over it. Floor wipes also good but not very eco friendly.

Please
or

pengymum · 18/02/2013 08:06

If your floor is properly fitted with no gaps and sealed finish, you can use a good steam cleaner that doesn't leave the floor wet. Or a steam vacuum that sucks up the gunk and leaves floor dry. If there are any gaps, over a period you may get some water absorbed and lifting. If is a waxed or stained finish, steam.will melt and remove this over time.
I have a good quality laminate and use a steam vacuum without any problems. Previously had just steam cleaner and was fine too. But there are very few gaps.
Only area I have a problem is kitchen, where I spilt Jewellery cleaner and it lifted the seam but was gap there. Also washing machine leaked and made it worse! Sad
Steamer didn't affect it though! Smile
Is not one of those steam mops but a proper steam cleaner. Lecoaspira, leaves it dry. Like vacuuming but with steam to remove dirt! I love it. Grin
Hth

Please
or

WannabeWilloughby · 18/02/2013 08:10

I use my steam mop on my laminate floor (unsealed) and my floor is fine.

Perhaps try it in a discrete area of the room. Smile

Please
or

UnderwaterBasketWeaving · 18/02/2013 08:10

we're having laminate fitted today! Grin (yay!) Friends have recommended a microfibre mop with a built in squirter to squirt the recommended product (for warranty purposes). But I'll ask the man when he comes later.

Def no steam or water. I'd imagine it'd appear fine for a while but the damage would appear after a while. it would void any warranty you have.

Please
or

UnrequitedSkink · 18/02/2013 08:33

Eco mop! Yes it does use water but very little - It's just damp enough to collect all the dust and grime. I've been using on my laminate flooring for about 3 years now, no problem whatsoever.

Please
or

AllOverIt · 18/02/2013 08:36

I steam mop my laminate daily and it's fine (I have dogs, I'm not a clean freak, honest!)

Please
or

CharlotteBronteSaurus · 18/02/2013 08:38

i mop (not steam mop) our laminate floor, albeit very infrequently
it's a good quality laminate which has been professionally fitted, and it's survived
in between i sweep, and spot clean with a sponge

Please
or

Lookslikerain · 18/02/2013 09:32

Thanks for all your replies.

It has been well fitted (well, seems to be to my untrained eye) but I'd rather not risk it lifting etc. My steam mop will still be used for the tiled bathroom, toilet and on the varnished wooden living room floor.

Can I ask where people have bought their eco mops from, please? A quick google didn't turn up anything obvious, but I'm about to go out so don't have time for a more thorough search. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

UnrequitedSkink · 18/02/2013 09:48

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/e-cloth-mop-system/p183920?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes

I realise I am coming across as slight unhinged but I don't care, this thing has changed my life need to get out more Grin

Please
or

PeazlyPops · 18/02/2013 11:26

I've steam mopped my unsealed laminate every couple of days for two years and its fine. If you are worried, try it on a discreet part, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Please
or

UnderwaterBasketWeaving · 19/02/2013 09:25

Floor man said no steam or excessive water, but any product made for laminate is ok.

We got an e-cloth mop yesterday and it was brill on the dust from fitting (and DS breakfast residue!)

Please
or

MoreBeta · 19/02/2013 09:30

I steam a sealed laminate floor fairly regularly. TBH the steam is only on it for a few seconds. Laminate is usually varnished anyway.

Have you got a spare old piece of laminate from when it was fitted to give it a try?

Please
or

Mockingcurl · 19/02/2013 09:33

I've steam mopped my laminate floor for seven years. It's fine.

Please
or

TWinklyLittleStar · 19/02/2013 09:34

What sort of flooring is a steam mop meant to be used on then?

Please
or

Lookslikerain · 19/02/2013 13:28

Thanks all for your help.

I think I'll buy an Eco mop for it. We've got an extra little area next to the kitchen that's also laminated so I might use the steam mop in there and see what happens.

I'm a bit surprised that so many people put laminate into kitchens when water is so bad for it. Between baby DD chucking her cup over the high chair and DS "helping" me do washing up, there are regularly small puddles!

OP's posts:
Please
or

StuckOnARollercoaster · 19/02/2013 13:34

Thats why I would always tile my kitchen and have laminate in the rest of the downstairs until we have our 'forever' home and I can put down real wood!!!

I do steam my laminate but not as often as the tiled floors, but am more wary and will use it quickly over the laminate, whereas in the kitchen I love really blasting the tiles to know that they are literally clean enough to eat off Grin

Please
or

thewoodfloorman · 10/12/2013 06:28

Steam mops are NOT suitable for laminate floors. The sealed or fitted together properly thing is a myth. I am a qualified installer of solid wood, laminate floors, and LVT's and these cleaners cause damage over time and will wreck your floor. A laminate floor is made up of layers of HDF, high resolution photographic image and a clear wear layer (the laminate) they are heated and bonded together. Leaving water on the surface for prolonged periods is bad enough, but applying steam! This has a detrimental effect, not only due to the moisture, but the excessive heat too. Buy a suitable laminate floor cleaning solution (like quickstep) and dilute in a bucket, mop the floor only after completely wringing the mop out so it is damp, so a vacuum or sweep first id advisable.

Please
or

Jas1069 · 11/03/2015 20:33

I have a (Vax S86-SF-C) steam mop. Never had any problems on my Laminate flooring. Works a treat and I only need to use it every 7 to 10 days, with just normal sweeping up in between. I’d highly recommend one.
Especially the ‘two in one’s', where you can detach the mop part to create a hand-held cleaner. Immensely versatile! :-)
PS. I know its an old Thread but i'm sure someone will still find it useful. I know I did!! ;-)

Please
or

Wonderful2019 · 30/03/2019 22:39

Spray mops are best

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.