Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Cloths and sponges- being hygienic

Sistermoondance · 26/02/2011 07:46

Hi there,

A very boring question really. How long do you use the same sponges / cloths for?

I tend to replace washing up sponges weekly and cloths to wipe down kitchen surfaces a bit more frequently. After using them I rinse them out, but I worry because my dh never does and leaves them either scrunched up on the worktop or floating in dirty dish water. Makes me wonderif I should replace them daily :-s but don't want to be excessive or spend a fortune. My dh already thinks I have a cloth OCD as I ask him to use a diff sponge to clean the cats dishes..

What do you lovely ladies think?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bronze · 26/02/2011 07:59

I replace mine daily but it doesn't cost huge amounts more to add a few to a hot wash. I don't throw them out after one use.

Please
or

itstheyearzero · 26/02/2011 08:00

Top tip from Kim and Aggie - last thing at night put your cloths in a bowl of warm water with a drop of bleach and a little squirt of washing up liquid. Et voila - fresh cloths and sponges every morning!

Please
or

Sistermoondance · 26/02/2011 08:14

Ooh good idea... Although I have noticed that washing up sponges go a weird colour when you put them in bleach (from cleaning the bathroom). Also could be slightly problematic for my other half who never rinses cloths and just dumps stuff (including stuff which would go in 3 mo dd's mouth like bottles in the washing up bowl no matter what I say to him- he just forgets- not being malicious and usually trying to be helpful as he clearing up.

I may have to wait till dd is a little older as I don't want to risk her drinking out of a bottle recently dipped in bleach :-s

Washing machine is a good idea though... Although would it kill salmonella?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Furball · 26/02/2011 08:24

I pop mine in the dishwasher everynight.

If you don't have a dishwasher = you could put it in the washing up bowl and just pour bowling water on it

Please
or

Furball · 26/02/2011 08:25

oh blimey - sorry bowling = boiling

Please
or

purepurple · 26/02/2011 08:29

I have a clean dish cloth every day and just put them in the.washing machine on a hot wash. I don't use sponges or brushes.

Please
or

Fuchzia · 26/02/2011 08:32

Don't replace mine on a weekly basis but a 30 second blast in the microwave kills off any nasties

Please
or

CeliaFate · 26/02/2011 11:17

I put my dishcloths and tea towels in with the bedding or towels on 90 degree wash. I use a new cloth every day.

Please
or

nannyl · 26/02/2011 15:08

i have machine washable micro fibre cloths and wash them most days.

i have a sponge for washhing up (not surfaces) and change it weekly or more... just get the cheap ones so i just bin them and dont care

Please
or

Flisspaps · 26/02/2011 15:09

I do the same as CeliaFate

Please
or

bounty007 · 26/02/2011 19:21

i have just bought an ecloth from lakeland and love it..will be buying more..it is machine washable & has a lifetime guarantee I think

Please
or

Greenshadow · 26/02/2011 19:23

Stick dishcloth in washing machine every few days.

Do use different cloth for cats bowls.

Please
or

SilveryMoon · 26/02/2011 19:26

I'm the only person in my house who does the washing up.
I use sponges for a week, but before each use, I run some water onto it and pop it in the microwave for 20/30 secs to sterilise it.
Wipe down cloths go in the wash after I've wiped down the counters

Please
or

ramonaquimby · 26/02/2011 19:28

never use sponges
use a new cloth at least every day

Please
or

TheProvincialLady · 26/02/2011 19:32

I use microfibre cloths. A new one at least every day and they go in a hot wash, it's no bother. I either put my sponges in the dishwasher or the washing machine every few days and replace them when they go all wierd. I used to do the bleach thing too but they go very strange even after the first time.

Please
or

tanmu82 · 26/02/2011 19:33

I usually wash mine weekly (cloths), but all cloths and sponges get rinsed out and put on kitchen radiator to dry out after each use

Please
or

Teachermumof3 · 26/02/2011 19:42

I use at least two cloths a day and just bung them in the washing machine and they get done with the next load.

Please
or

TerrorFirmer · 26/02/2011 19:45

they are all completely ew.

kitchen roll instead of cloths

brushes instead of sponges (boiled regularly)

my name is TerrorFirmer and I am a germophobe

Please
or

bronze · 27/02/2011 10:29

FirmTerror to the terrafirma eh?

Please
or

lalamom · 27/02/2011 22:12

What is the problem with sponges?I see an anti sponge theme on here.

Do people use a cloth to clean plates etc- don't you need something more effective or does everyone have dishwashers?

Please
or

Chippychop · 27/02/2011 22:48

I use a clean cloth at least once a day. We have a brush, no sponges.. Stubborn marks i use wire wool or brillo pad. Thats only if it cant or wont fit in the dishwasher. I dont know anyone without a a dishwasher

Please
or

didymosity · 27/02/2011 22:50

am reading this in shame. i use sponges til the scourer rubs off. Shock clean them in the washing machine maybe once every couple months. i use an enjo mitt to clean surfaces and we have a dishwasher so only wash up pans etc but yeah the sponges are pretty rank if i think about it. hmmm. need more ecloths then i guess? Confused
i am soooo not a 'natural' at this cleaning lark...

Please
or

Chippychop · 27/02/2011 22:54

Didy...bet you're more fun though!

Please
or

bibbitybobbityhat · 27/02/2011 23:12

When I make tea or coffee and I know I'm not going to have another cup any time soon, I pour the rest of the boiling water from the ketthle over the dishcloth and wring it out to dry and hang it up. I put cloths in the dishwasher too when I remember. I keep using them for days and days Grin - you know when a dishcloth has gone manky cos it smells. I change my sponges maybe once a fortnight! Never had a problem here.

Please
or

mousymouse · 28/02/2011 13:25

I don't use sponges and cloths go into the wash everyday (the basket that is, I wash them together with the towels at 60).
the dish brush goes into the dishwasher every now and then.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.