My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

beds and suitcase

5 replies

newlurker · 03/11/2010 13:45

I have very little storage space.

Am currently storing some suitcases under bunk bed. Other (the annoying modern ones that are made with deep capacirty and therefore will not fit under bed) are stored actually on the lower bunk itself, which is never used.

bed needs replacing and ds says he just wants a single bed. So 2 questions reallly.

1. Does anyone know of a bed which has slightly higher clearance than average. Most I have seen in stores look very low - not sure if even our smaller cases would get underneath.

1. Anyone else with practically no cupboards have any tips for storing cases. We have several as we travel a lot. Our few wardrobes are packed inside and go up to the ceiling - so that is not an option.
OP posts:
redhollyberry · 03/11/2010 17:12

You can get ottoman beds with lift up storage.
I bought one recently (a double) and it's great, you can fit a lot in there and nothing gets dusty (like under my last bed). Mine is definately higher than a normal bed and I could fit suitcases under there. I got it from co-op beds but they don't seem to sell singles at present.

There's a single one on amazon here. It's not the same brand as mine so I can't vouch for the quality/ style etc but it's an idea. Check the dimensions though to see if your suitcases will fit.

www.amazon.co.uk/Hyder-Capri-Single-Leather-Ottoman/dp/B001WCKMUS?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Hope this helps.

linspins · 03/11/2010 20:24

Possibly not an option, but could you always make whichever bed you get a little higher with blocks etc? Something like the cot blocks you get to raise babies bed up? If you made some neat wooden blocks and painted them to match bed or carpet that might do the trick.

shodatin · 03/11/2010 20:26

A friend had a storage "shelf" made for cases opposite the top of the stairs, ie built out into the space - lots of extra room.

scurryfunge · 03/11/2010 20:30

I keep my suitcases in the loft.

pippop1 · 04/11/2010 10:00

Expensive option might be to buy new soft (but rugged) suitcases (I bought my DCs "Animal" brand ones from John Lewis to take to Uni) as they have wheels and big capacity but squash down pretty much flat for storage. Really strong too!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.