Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Outdoor globe string lights

19 replies

nicewheels · 06/03/2021 21:14

I want some of these for my garden, but obviously need to buy them online, I want some that will last and can stay up all year, anyone recommend any or a company where I can buy them?

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Isolatedizzy · 06/03/2021 21:50

Following- I have a new gazebo for some outdoor entertaining & desperate for some nice lights!

Please
or

Nacreous · 06/03/2021 21:51

I'd also like some nice lights so if anyone can recommend some good quality ones I would be very grateful too!

Please
or

NewToDarkSpaces · 10/03/2021 19:09

following!

Please
or

colette100 · 11/03/2021 12:10

Just a note - there are lots of lovely outdoor globe strings - but many are sealed units. Once a bulb goes - it goes. You cannot replace.

Bulbs usually do have a decent length of life, but in the garden they are prone to becoming water-logged.

It doesn’t stop the rest of the string from working, but it doesn’t look so pretty either. So personally, I would spend more on lights I can swap out and less on a sealed string.

🌈

Please
or

Nacreous · 11/03/2021 18:13

That's a really good point Colette and not something I would have thought of - I will add it to my wish list.

Please
or

Newoneforthis28 · 12/03/2021 09:07

Hope this link works. We live in a really wet part of the country and have had these up since before Christmas. Seem really well sealed and they’re connectable to you can add to them. Light effects settings mean you can have them on a very low glow or on ‘full’

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SY73NTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?psc=1&ie=UTF8&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Please
or

Hadjab · 13/03/2021 11:53

I got mine from here - they’ve been outside for four years now and still working perfectly

www.festive-lights.com/a60-festoon-lights-connect-go

Please
or

savvy7 · 13/03/2021 19:04

I've got ones from Wilkos which have survived two winters and are stil lworking

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 13/03/2021 19:09

Oooooh following. In particular I want some non solar power ones cos the bit of my garden I want them for is shady

Please
or

123rd · 22/03/2021 22:06

I just bought some from Solarcentre. 7m length and it has a solar panel PLUS a usb charger...

Please
or

Doggitydog · 22/03/2021 22:10

Festoon plug in are the way to go, don’t waste your money on solar ones. Spend out a bit more and get the proper ones, ours are coming up to 5 years old and we’ve only ever replaced 2 bulbs.

Please
or

sallydontlivehere · 09/04/2021 23:56

@Doggitydog care to share where you bought yours from? Thru sound exactly what I'm looking for

Please
or

fresiaboquet · 10/04/2021 14:29

i have these ones from amazon. Bought and connected 2 sets. they have been up 4 years now with no problem. couple of thr bulbs have been changed but they came with some spare, and easy to buy replacements on amazon.
www.amazon.co.uk/Festoon-Lights-JOYIN-String-Outdoor/dp/B074HBGG8H/ref=pd_sbs_2?pf_rd_p=448c740b-5b83-47fd-809b-6bedb049b25c&th=1&pf_rd_r=BPBHFTK3EMQ0F7WPYZCJ&pd_rd_wg=7p5A5&pd_rd_i=B074HBGG8H&pd_rd_w=JBOD9&pd_rd_r=2a534cb5-f345-4723-86d6-d98911c9d517&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Please
or

PickledWilly · 10/04/2021 14:36

This might be a silly question, if you get plug in ones can you leave them up? We have an outdoor plug however it doesn't appear to have an on / off switch, if you plug something in, it's on, unless the thing you are plugging in has its own on/ off switch. Can you leave lights plugged in year round?

Please
or

Redsquirrel5 · 11/04/2021 15:41

PickledWilly you could get an extension lead with an on /off switch.

Please
or

Davros · 11/04/2021 21:45

I got some great ones online from IKEA. They look like fairy lights but they're big. The plug is normal so can go in the outside socket, not like Xmas fairy lights that have weird plugs. I really like them

Please
or

Doggitydog · 15/04/2021 21:20

@sallydontlivehere so sorry I took so long, lighting-direct is where we got ours from.

Please
or

saltychoc · 15/04/2021 22:16

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/MainIndex/XmassLights/FestoonHarness/index.html

I've just bought these (plus bulbs) as the bulbs can be changed, I know having one bulb blowing would annoy the crap out of me, most of the ones I've seen online you can't change the bulbs, at least with these you can change them and I like that they are 'real' bulbs.
Hopefully they will last years, but we will see!

Please
or

CompleteBarstool · 19/04/2021 15:23

I'm considering some of these lights too but torn between solar and non-solar. My experience of solar garden lighting has always been poor but that was some years ago so they may have improved since then.

Do any of them have timers on so you don't have to go and physically switch them on?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?