Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Outdoor lights for balcony

10 replies

doadeer · 22/11/2020 14:59

I have a large balcony (similar to the picture). I feel so silly asking this but I'm not sure the best way. I'd love to have a huge string of lights for Christmas woven through the beams

What's the best way to do this? Feed the cable through a window to a plug? I'd rather not have the draft coming in. Do battery powered ones exist - would that cost a lot?

Please advise I'm a bit hopeless at these things.

Outdoor lights for balcony
OP posts:
Please
or

MenaiMna · 22/11/2020 15:58

Yes outdoor battery lights exist. If it was me I'd get a margarine tub (empty and clean lol) with a hole on the side (notch through with some scissors just under the lid) and put the battery pack in that well out of a rainy area just because I hate having things ruined and rain will destroy it!
To fix it to the rail you can use clear cable ties (which you would then cut and replace every year) OR some self stick hooks (home bargains does a fake command strip pack). If you're exposed to prevailing winds and sleet in winter cable ties are more secure.

Please
or

MenaiMna · 22/11/2020 15:59

Forgot to mention Aldi has some outdoor battery lights from special buys a couple weeks ago which are just as good but half the price of garden centres!

Please
or

doadeer · 22/11/2020 16:32

Ah great tip! I don't live anywhere near aldi unfortunately, I'll need to buy lights online.

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

showmethegin · 22/11/2020 19:19

You could get solar lights? We have solar powered festoon lights in our garden and they work brilliantly

Please
or

doadeer · 22/11/2020 19:29

@showmethegin

You could get solar lights? We have solar powered festoon lights in our garden and they work brilliantly

Will these get enough power from the day in winter? It's a real suntrap the balcony so if there is sun it will be there!
OP posts:
Please
or

Pusspot · 22/11/2020 19:51

I have plug in lights on my patio. The cable is thin enough to post through the window and then close/lock afterwards. I think I bought them in B and Q.

Please
or

showmethegin · 22/11/2020 22:38

@doadeer they will! We've moved our from the back garden into the trees at the front for Christmas and they are still working well. The front of our house is north east facing so only gets the sun till about 12pm.

Please
or

showmethegin · 22/11/2020 22:40

LE LED Solar Outdoor String Lights, 25ft G40 Festoon Lights with 25 Clear LED Bulbs, Warm White 4 Modes, Waterproof Globe Fairy Lights for Christmas, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y1SV72F/ref=cmswwrcppapip_jqjvBbYmvx8tF

Please
or

showmethegin · 22/11/2020 22:40

Those are the ones we have

Please
or

doadeer · 22/11/2020 22:43

Fab thanks so much! I bought some super similar to those just a different light affect. Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?