Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Carseat - outgrowing them

4 replies

Kmg · 22/07/2001 20:12

At what age or height, did your child stop using a car seat?

My son is 4, and he is tall (110 cm). Our rear car seat does not have headrests, and if sat in his car seat, or simply on the booster, his head/neck is at the height that he would have limited support, and therefore more whiplash injury. We therefore think he is safer without the booster. But if we sit him without a car seat or booster he isn't comfortable. His legs are not really long enough to sit comfortably without a booster. (We do have a seatbelt adjuster thing, that's not the problem).

The Concord carseat with adjustable headrest looks good, but I don't want to spend more money on carseats if he doesn't use them for long.

Any advice welcome!

OP posts:
Please
or

Mooma · 23/07/2001 19:35

At that age, we found a seatbelt holder that keeps the belt away from the neck was the best solution. At least then the chest is restrained and the neck supported by the back of the seat.

Please
or

Paula1 · 24/07/2001 08:55

Apparently, children are supposed to use booster seats until they are 10. That Concord one says that it is ideal for cars without headrests. (according to their advertising anyway), however, I was unable to find any stockists, I even sent them an e-mail from their website, but they didn't answer. I would see if you can find another type of carseat that does protect head and neck. I've got a Britax Javelin that seems to do the job pretty well.

Please
or

Janh · 24/07/2001 10:44

kmg, there is a fairly cheap one in the littlewoods catalogue (less than £30 i think), made of polystyrene like booster seats, which has a very high back and a kind of bolster thing at the front with a flat top. it can also be used with a lap belt only.

my son used this from about 4 to about 6 - my car had a low seat back and no middle headrest so it was ideal although he didn't always appreciate it! he is tall too (but very skinny, a chubbier child might find the bolster thing a bit constricting but in any case it's really meant for a younger child.)

i have just checked and in fact there are 2 of this design; the cheaper one with the bolster in front (and no straps) is £32 and the dearer one which has shoulder straps is £50. but if you are a new customer you can often get £15 off your first order! they are photographed on a seat with a headrest and come nearly to the top of it.

www.littlewoods.com or phone 08457 55 22 11.

Please
or

Janh · 24/07/2001 10:53

stop press: i went to the index part of the website and they have a seat the same as the bolster one, but without the bolster (which you probably wouldn't need anyway) for £20.50.
have a look!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?