Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Christmas Breaks

5 replies

nickiw · 08/07/2003 16:57

I know it's a long way off..... Any good ideas for a really festive family break.

OP posts:
Please
or

princesspeahead · 08/07/2003 17:13

money no object? two weeks in the luxury hotel of your choice on the tropical island of your choice. mince pies optional, bucket and spade compulsory... sigh....

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 08/07/2003 22:08

One of the most beautiful christmas's I have ever had was in Oaxaca, Mexico. Fun for all ages and good weather!

Please
or

nickiw · 09/07/2003 08:18

Money is an object!!! I was hoping for a cottage in the UK with tree, turkey cooked for me, dream on....

OP posts:
Please
or

StripyMouse · 09/07/2003 08:41

Don?t know how old your child/ren is/are - really affects where you go. We booked a cottage in Cornwall last December for a large family get together and is was fairly cheap, beautiful and had a wonderful time. We stayed in a lovely barn conversion with all the mod cons, even bubbly spa baths in each en-suite, underfloor heating, a double poster bed, fab views of the sea etc. etc.It cost us £43 per person per week the 2nd week in Dec last year (based on 8 sharing). (Marhamchurch near Bude) The owner even set up a lovely big Christmas tree for us and had a roaring log fire ready for our arrival... We booked it via easycottages.com which was unbelievably straightforward. Hoping to use them again this coming winter as they were so easy to book through. I have looked at their site recently and the prices are same this year and loads of cheap options.
Hiring a cottage is much better than staying in a hotel when you have little ones (IMHO) as you aren?t tied to a room in the evening when they fall asleep and so have much more flexibility (let alone costing a fraction of what you would pay in a hotel). A friend of ours took her two under 5 to a posh hotel for a "special break" and spent the whole time worrying that their crying and general playing noise was disturbing the couples in the rooms either side! Christmas in Cornwall is also lovely with plenty of little sea side villages having lovely traditional events - we went to Clovelly and they had such pretty lights and children carrying handmade lanterns down to the sea front via a whole village procession and traditional Carol service, mince pies etc. -made our Christmas complete. Good Luck whatever you decide. Agree that it is a good idea to get it planned early...the better cottages for rent do tend to go early via regular bookers and word of mouth.

Please
or

nickiw · 09/07/2003 11:07

That sounds great thanks alot!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?