Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Paris

7 replies

Ems · 16/07/2001 12:32

Anyone got any Paris tips - hotel, sights, shops etc?

We are hoping to take 6 year old for 2 nights this summer, probably via Eurostar. But wouldnt know where to start with a family room, centrally located hotel! Any help very gratefully received.

OP posts:
Please
or

Pat · 16/07/2001 15:29

Have a look at Timeout.com/paris. There's a KIDS section on there which might be useful (also accommodation).
One place we really liked was the Musee Rodin - slightly off the main tourist drag.The garden is dotted with sculptures (including 'the Thinker') which might interest a 6 year old and there's an outdoor cafe so if it's a sunny day it would be a good place to while away an hour or so. The indoor musuem a mixture of small sculptures & pictures - maybe too adult.

Please
or

Pupuce · 16/07/2001 17:28

I agree with Rodin museum - it's a great one !
The tube is very pushchair UNfriendly.... so take a LIGHT one (though I am not sure you need one at that age-sorry... my child hasn't reached that age yet!)
Also at La Defense there is the Science Museum - Musee de la Villette which I have heard is GREAT for kids. Maybe others can confirm ?

I can't help with hotels - sorry.

Please
or

Kia · 16/07/2001 19:30

I'm going to Paris in September and I've found the 'rough Guide' to Paris really good. You can sometimes get hold of one in your library. I found my hotel on www.paris.org/Hotels/ What I liked about it was that people gave their reviews of the hotels and seemed to be quite honest! The Hotel de Fleurie where I'm staying is in the 6eme because I'm going to be visiting the Sorbonne and its practically next door. My advice is to try the rough guide book first and then have a look for a hotel that suits. Hope this helps.

Please
or

Helenmh · 18/07/2001 12:16

I can recommend the citadines chain of aparthotels. We havent stayed in one in paris but we stayed in one in barcelona. It was very central, had a seperate bedroom , living area with sofa bed and kitchen. There are about 15 in central Paris and they are good value. Their website is www.citadines.com. We also got hold of a good book called"Take the kids- Paris". It is a cadogan guide . Hope you have a great time . we havent done Paris with the kids so it will be interesting to hear how it goes

Please
or

Ems · 18/07/2001 13:25

Thanks Helenmh, I will look into both of those.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ems · 18/07/2001 17:14

Thanks everyone else too! My other message didnt appear. The Rodin museum sounds good. I'm definitely going to make him climb all the steps at Sacre Coeur, I remember doing that when I was young with my parents.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ems · 24/07/2001 13:19

Lots of Paris information I see today on 'Ask Experts'.

I spent an evening on internet looking at various places and options, amazing what you can find isnt it!?

Have found a little hotel in area that I wanted, and bought the Rough Guide book for addresses, maps, info etc.

Am going to get the Cadogan guide as recommended, from the library.

Airmiles have great offer at mo by the way. Adult Eurostar, 300 air miles plus £35.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?