Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Air travel = swollen feet. Any advice?

9 replies

StuartC · 24/06/2003 09:57

DP always gets swollen feet when flying. They stay swollen for perhaps 7 - 10 days, then we fly back and they swell again!
This year we've a 9 hour flight each way so the problem will probably be worse than usual.
Does anyone have any advice for prevention/cure?

OP posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 24/06/2003 10:01

Do those lovely, sexy, DVT elastic stocking things help with this? Or the exercise cushion, also for DVT, where you push air about with your feet? Moving around a lot is supposed to help with swollen feet too I think but I'm sure you've tried that.

Please
or

outofpractice · 24/06/2003 10:03

I have been wearing surgical support stockings every time I fly for the last 2 years. They are ugly, hot, and slightly embarrassing but they are brilliant for preventing swelling and also reduce the risk of DVT. I put them on in the ladies just before boarding the plane. Get them from a chemist or travel shop.

Please
or

SamboM · 24/06/2003 10:26

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

SueW · 24/06/2003 11:16

Drink plenty of water, remain as mobile as possible.

It may also help to eat a light diet in the few days before flying (I have found this helps with any long haul flights I have done). Some people also recommend avoiding yeasty foods such as bread and alcohol in the few days before and during flights.

SamboM, I bet ballet dancers find it easier to put their feet up on the seat in front of them than most of us would (better flexibility and all that)

Please
or

SoupDragon · 24/06/2003 11:19

I'm trying to imagine myself trying to put my feet up on the back of the seat in front.... I don't think I'd ever walk again

Please
or

Ghosty · 24/06/2003 11:43

I find that walking around the plane as much as possible really helps ... In the days before being a mummy I would swell up more as I would sit in my seat for the whole flight and sleep ... but now that I have DS I actually have very little sleep and am constantly doing laps of the plane ...
If you are sitting a lot ... keep moving your ankles around and use the foot rest to keep the backs of your knees off the seat for long periods of time.
If you can (if you are sitting in a bulkhead seat) put your feet up against the wall ....
Drink water ... NOT alcohol or juice ...

Please
or

aloha · 24/06/2003 13:29

When flying to Australia (hell, hell, hell!) I walked constantly up and down the aisle and even found a spot where I could lie down with my legs straight up against the wall for a while. You don't look cool but you'll never see these people again and it prevents swelling. Also circle your feet in both directions frequently.

Please
or

eidsvold · 24/06/2003 18:22

In all the long flights I have done Aus - US/Aus - UK... stockings, lots and lots of water - try not to have anything else - esp. alcohol as it dehydrates you, get up and walk every hour, try and stand for a while in the bulkhead/emergency exits for a while - also helps. It is about keeping fluid moving and so you need to keep mobile. The only time my ankles swelled was when I basically slept almost the whole flight.

Depending on who you fly with you can also check out their website - some have hints for safe/healthy flying.

Please
or

StuartC · 25/06/2003 09:11

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I'll keep my fingers crossed as well!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?