Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

holiday first aid kit

17 replies

Qd · 02/07/2001 21:24

I am in the process of putting together my holiday first aid kit. A real hotch-potch affair. What do you put in yours? Do you have a great product you wouldn't leave home without? Please share any tips/hints.

OP posts:
Please
or

Tusky · 02/07/2001 21:49

arnica cream(for bruises)hypercal cream (for cuts and sores),Savlon wound wash and TCP !

Please
or

Suew · 02/07/2001 21:54

Tea tree oil, a few plasters, surgical tape and those non-stick wound dressings that start with M. Calpol/Baby Nurofen and some paracetamol for the adults.

Tea tree oil is essential as far as I am concerned though. It's so useful for cuts, bites, stings, cold sores, grazes, zapping the zits. Anti-bacterial and antiseptic. Can be used as a disinfectant. I don't leave home without it.

Please
or

Debsb · 03/07/2001 12:10

Piriton syrup. You can give it to children from 12 months (I think) & is great if, like me, you tend to get reactions to bites & stings. At least I don't have to worry too much if the children also have a reaction.
BTW its also v good for youngest dds hayfever.

Please
or

Marina · 03/07/2001 13:46

Braun thermoscan digital thermometer. Light, quite small, comes in a secure packing case, reassuring to have to hand if you have very young children with you.
I don't go down to the shops without my arnica/hypercal/tea tree trio! They are such good products.
Might also pack some Dioralyte but depends on where you are off to. We have always found flat lemonade more palatable and equally effective.

Please
or

Tigermoth · 03/07/2001 14:00

At least one spare plastic measuring spoon or syringe in case the original gets lost. Cotton wool or kitchen roll to absorb any bleeding from cuts.

Please
or

Candy · 03/07/2001 17:28

I carry lavender oil everywhere - it's good for calming fractious children, soothing headaches, sun burn etc. Boots Botanics do lavender balm in a tube which is absolutely brilliant.

Please
or

Kia · 03/07/2001 18:58

I know this isn't really 'first aid' but I always take a tube of 'Berocca' fizzy tablets which contain vit b,c,calcium & Magnesium (just reading off the tube!) for helping hangovers! If you can leave them out with a pint of water when you get in from a late night and then take another in the morning - you will feel so much better! The other thing I cannot do without is tweezers (see the Capt Corelli messages!) Thanks for that note about the botanics stuff, I'll look out for that this weekend, my lot have gone made for this range! Instead of dioralyte we used to use cold unsweetened tea.

Please
or

Slug · 04/07/2001 12:03

Cannestan cream in humid climates. Antihistamine tablets for unexpected reactions to insects, blister covers, earplugs and a wedding ring!

Please
or

Qd · 04/07/2001 20:54

Thanks for all that. Re tea tree oil, do you use a carrier oil or just use it neat? And the lavender oil as well I suppose? I always have arnica pills as well as the cream. My kids open their mouths as soon as they see the dispenser come out of the bag.

Also re sun creams. I found a Sainsbury's own children's suncream yesterday spf 25 for only £2.99. It seemed almost too cheap. What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

Suew · 04/07/2001 21:31

Tea tree oil can be used neat.

The sunscreen should be fine if it's got all the right markings on it. Isn't there a star system now in use in te UK which provides an alternative/extra info to the SPF too?

It's about time someone decreased the price of sunscreen.

Please
or

Sylvev · 04/07/2001 22:04

Qd: In fact there was a recent survey suggesting no difference between the cheaper sunscreens and the expensive brands. As long as the cream has the correct sp factor, the cheaper creams are ok.

Please
or

Lisaj · 05/07/2001 19:49

Qd

I've been using both Sainsbury's and Tesco's factor 35 for my son who has very fair skin - seems to be fine. I don't see the point in paying a fortune for suncreams, especially since we seem to use so much, and I presume a reputable company makes it for them.

Please
or

Willow2 · 20/07/2001 21:07

Can anyone recommend suntan lotion for a fifteen month old with ezcema (not that bad, mainly behind knees!)

Please
or

Eulalia · 22/07/2001 11:44

Willow2 - my son gets excema in similar places - legs and behind the knees. I've always just used an ordinary sun tan lotion and it hasn't made it worse. I have some from Superdrug which was very reasonably priced.

Please
or

Kmg · 22/07/2001 17:21

Willow2 - my GP recommended a suncream which was NOT waterproof or water resistant, as they clog the pores - but these do not seem to exist. I posted a question on mumsnet about this a couple of weeks ago and someone recommended an Avon suncream. I've managed to get hold of some, and it is 'light water-resistant', but feels much better on the skin than other creams I've tried. Also, don't get one with a very high factor (30+), as these do tend to be very thick and heavy and need a lot of scrubbing to get them off.

Please
or

Robinw · 23/07/2001 01:20

message withdrawn

Please
or

Pamina · 24/07/2001 19:31

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?