Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Advice please - feeding a baby on a 20-hour jourmey

8 replies

OldieMum · 13/06/2003 09:43

We are taking dd, who is 5 months old, to Southern Brittany next week, travelling on the overnight ferry. We will be travelling for about 20 hours. She started on solids a couple of weeks ago and is bottle fed. I assume I should get jars for the solids, but am concerned about the bottles. I tried out some 'Steribottle' disposables from Sainsbury's, but they are dreadful. One sent milk all over us both, losing most of the feed; another had milk dripping down the sides. Should I get the Avent disposable bags (which sound fiddly), or just buy loads more ordinary bottles and fill with boiled water? I'd very much appreciate some advice.

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 13/06/2003 09:47

I don't know much about this, but I would have thought that if you took capped, sterilised bottles and some of that made-up formula in cartons (does that still exist??) you could just fill a bottle as you went along. If the bottle has been sterilised and then had a cap on it, it should remain sterile. And remember that in a lot of countries they don't sterilise bottles anyway! Good luck.

Please
or

M2T · 13/06/2003 09:52

Oldiemum.... I agree with Tamum. Sterilize the bottles and just keep the lids on. Then fill them with the cartoned SMA, or whatever she drinks, as you need it.

Please
or

bossykate · 13/06/2003 10:36

agree with tamum and m2t. another alternative is to pre-fill the sterilised bottles with water and carry powdered formula in one of those little compartmentalised boxes. agree that jars are much the easiest for travelling.

Please
or

whymummy · 13/06/2003 11:20

that`s what i use to do bossykate them milk containers are priceless!

Please
or

carriemac · 13/06/2003 11:46

Bring sterilised empty bottles and just pour boiling water over them before u fill them - it makes u feel better and bring more cartons than u think u will need. try getting her used to tepid feeds too, it makes travelling much easier

Please
or

M2T · 13/06/2003 11:49

I just used to give my ds the milk at room temperature and he didn't seem to mind it like that.

Please
or

OldieMum · 13/06/2003 13:51

Thanks to all of you!

OP posts:
Please
or

eidsvold · 13/06/2003 21:23

we flew 22 hours with dd and she had steri bottles - however there is a knack to making sure the lid is on properly. Perhaps a couple of practice runs... took me a couple.. just have tohear the three clicks and make sure it is inline when you first put it on. We then took milk in little cartons ready made with a couple of bottles of food - disposable bibs and a couple of spoons. She was fine. The good thing with all of that is it was able to be jettisoned as we went along. You can buy spoons fromboots - very cheap in their own carry case - we used them.

Coming home from Aus we did not have the steribottles and it was a nightmare carrying a lot of bottles.

Hope that helps.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?